Shaping a Ficus - Are these rootstock branches?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Nick B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Shaping a Ficus - Are these rootstock branches?

Post by Nick B »

Hi All,

First time poster. I have a Ficus that needs some love and I need help please 😓.

I want to encourage its form into something more akin to bowing or spreading. Not sure what might be best.
37FA160F-B00C-4621-B88E-2F36C813D09E.png
It 13 years old and sits inside on a window sill in partial northern sun in gippsland Vic. Over years I have fertized it sparingly, water it when dry and tried to find a place it likes.

You can see its got some side shoots but to me they look v different as if they are rootstock. Is that likely? Should i remove them to try encourage a better look and structure?

Should I wire or try graft pruning into trunk?

If someone can recommend a short quick list of things I can try in short term and a long term plan that would be amazing. Feel free to direct me to suggested links in forums.

Thanks in advance 🙏
Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper

Re: Shaping a Ficus - Are these rootstock branches?

Post by TimIAm »

Hi Nick,

Sorry you didn't get a reply, hopefully you get a notification.

The reason your branches look like they've been grafted on is because they are long and thin. This can be just the natural way your tree has put out branches. Just because the base is compact, your tree can still throw out long, thin branches.

One of the aims of bonsai is to keep things compact in order to look like a miniature version of a tree. One of the things that gets talked about is ratios; the main idea is keeping everything in proportion. So, if you have long branches and a squat base, then things look out of proportion.

To get your branches back into proportion, we usually cut branches back. By cutting branches back, the tree responds by putting out new growth and the branches get thicker. You also get shorter branches, which again, make them look more in proportion. In theory you get shorter branches, thicker branches, more compact branches, smaller leaves and closer leaves resembling a canopy.

A couple of things to mention: All of the above takes time, lots of time and patience. It also comes with risk, but so does looking after any living thing.

I highly encourage you to check out Adamaskwhy blog https://adamaskwhy.com/ Adam's main focus is Ficus and my love of Ficus and many of the things I've learnt have come from his blog.

It's also worth knowing that you should have had a lot more growth over 13 years. Trees that have been put in the smallest possible pot will have their growth restricted. If you want to progress this tree further look into the purpose of fertiliser and regular (not frequent) re-potting.

Good luck :tu:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

A bit hard to tell from photos but the leaves do look different enough to me so my guess is this one is grafted though it is not the usual ugly, exposed root ginseng style and the photos don't show the graft junction which may even be hard to find at that age.
Looks like the graft is a form of F. microcarpa, probably the same one they use on the ginseng type mallsai. It has compact growth and rounder leaves and the photos show a small patch of that foliage and growth around mid height.
The longer shoots with more oval shaped leaves are likely to be the root stock.

Moving forward:
As usual in bonsai you have choices.
Remove all shoots that look different to concentrate on one type. Different foliage type on one tree tends to distract viewers from your real styling so try to avoid where possible. You can choose either of the types to move forward with. Need to be aware that the grafted bit is slower growing but more compact so better for minimum intervention bonsai. The rootstock grows faster and longer so more pruning required but you can build real branches and tree shape much faster.

Minimal feeding may keep a bonsai small but does nothing for health or development. Weaker trees also respond less to cut back when it's time for pruning or repotting.
I'd be spending this coming growing season improving tree health - more feretiliser and adequate water, possibly even a repot to give it fresh potting mix so it will grow stronger roots.
Next year, after it is strong, cut back hard, especially if you elect to go with the understock as your tree or remove all the understock branches. Ficus respond really well to pruning and it only takes a couple of years to get masses of branching if the tree is growing well.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nick B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nick B »

:tu: Thanks so much TimIam and Shibui for taking the time to reply with such detailed answers. I really appreciate it.

I will digest it all and then implement some of your suggestions. Hopefully I can help bring my bonsai back into balance and health.

Thx
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Nick if you're on facebook I'd suggest you ask to join the Ficus Study Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/369975123052549

You'll find lots of extra inspiration on how to handle this grafted tree, I reckon.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

shibui wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 6:45 pm …though it is not the usual ugly, exposed root ginseng style …
I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that. They are horrible!
--
No idea what I am doing…

Return to “Tropical”