I.D 2 Figs

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: I.D 2 Figs

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel , I have just received some pics from other figs from Brian's old collection, I believe they are the sister trees to these Figs and a couple have fruit so we are getting closer to hopefully an I.D .

Hi TimIAm , in my search I found another 2 possible figs , Ficus Desertorum and Ficus Platypoda need to check the info and pics from Melb' I received last night .Will try to upload from my mobile to the computer { not tech savvy } and post the images .

Thanks for all the info

Cheers Ian
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi Ian

I just email the pics from my phone to the computer, if that helps.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel , I don't have an email on my phone to my knowledge or I would be overwhelmed with spam as is the case with the computer .

I will send them to Karen and she can email me .Things we do in order to get results :lost: .

Cheers Ian
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

lol, fair nuff. :)
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

O.k , so here we go . All these were from Brian's collection .These tree's are a bit neglected like mine :oops:

The bark on the trunks and the leaves appear to be the same .

Leaves are softer and don't snap like my PJ on his as per mine .

The red colour is present but not as extreme on a couple of these , I'll be sending him one of the cutting grown reds which are the same as the parent tree here :whistle: .

Growth is the same with leggy type growth with leaves at the ends of the branches average 5-6 leaves on these a couple have up to 8 possibly looked after a bit better or in a better position

Fruit is present on 2 only 1-2 mm stub/stalk almost no stalk , with green fruit , turning to reddish-yellow then to a reddish-orange colour when ripe
IMG-7421.jpg
IMG-7422.jpg
IMG-7423.jpg
IMG-7424.jpg
IMG-7425.jpg
IMG-7426.jpg
IMG-7427.jpg
IMG-7428.jpg
IMG-7429.jpg
.Whilst I have seen these figs for some years I trust his description of the leaves , trunks , growth , fruit however I didn't take the pics so that was out of my control .

Cheers Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

At this stage I will have to go with Ficus Obliqua, Having compared it with Mels fig ,Chris's collection and the ones I have here they all have very similar or the same features .

A google search did say yellow fruit however i did find a couple of specimens with reddish orange fruit , as Chris Stated his do turn as they ripen so for now I'm satisfied .

This red stemmed /veined one is obviously a slightly different variant and with half a dozen growing here I had better start looking after them .

Many thanks to all who contributed the info :worship:

Cheers Ian
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

There are plenty of instances of F. obliqua in the Ficus Study Group Ian, so you might be able to get a bit more info by doing a search for obliqua.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3699751 ... ?q=Obliqua

Lots of pics of leaves, shoots and fruit. There are a few people who really do know their figs in there, shame they didn't pipe up when you asked.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Post by Rintar »

Look very similar to my oblique as well. As we do no from seed we get many variations and have been reported incident s of our native figs cross pollination and taking on similar traits which makes it oh so much easier lol.
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel , been on facebook looking for answers , did find a Ficus Watkinsiena which had the same colour but the leaf size and the growth habit were different , however it could be cross pollinated with such a fig .

Hi Rintar , seed grown material in not always the same as the parent that's for sure . I have several trident maples that have a dark red autumn colour over the entire tree like a red lipstick maple ,

All the other hundred or so have yellow leaf colour in the autumn . ! particular trident has a taiwan maple leaf shape .

I also have seed grown Coral bark maple 50% of which are normal Acer Palmatum green including the bark , the rest are coral bark red ..

I actually facetimed Chris yesterday {Turning into a tech head :reading: } to show off the red fig and get a better look at his particular ones .

Made the decision to send the cutting grown red down to him to propagate and maintain the variant just in case mine for some reason goes wheels up .

Cheers All Ian
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I don't know that we amateurs are ever going to get to the bottom of the species barrel when there are hybrid possibilities. I'm just sorry that your tree just seems to be a really slow grower! All the other points it has are pointers to being a good bonsai specimen. Good on you for sharing the info, and the cuttings. I hope you can get some answers one day!
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel , not to many professionals piped up on this one .

I am trying some different fertilizer on all my plants including the gardens this year , never know they may grow like weeds and that will create some work .

I plan to remove as many branches as possible for cuttings on this red one while keeping the tree alive . Strike rate in the past has been very poor but i will take a different approach this time .

Cheers Ian
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi Ian, I guess it's one of those sites that reward input from users. I did get some help, but I'm active on the page, so that might explain the diff. We all have different time constraints too, so we just do what we can. Good luck with your unknowns!

Return to “Tropical”