Ficus spring defoliation

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
NickityNic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3

Ficus spring defoliation

Post by NickityNic »

Is Anyone defoliating ficus in sydney yet or will you wait for 15 degree nights. I want to do 2 defoliations this year due to the plants being really healthy and in branch development phase so i guess i need to start early. Thoughts on early spring tropical work? Whos getting excited?
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ficus spring defoliation

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

I reckon you could do it - I'm in Newy & will be doing mine in the next week or so. I'm excited. :tu2:
rporter
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by rporter »

Already done some. If you want to do two on a single tree i would start now and do second one within first 2-3 weeks of the new year. Anything after that will tend to impede growth and the plant’s winter prep and nutrient storage before the autumn shutdown (in my experience)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

In Sydney we have such a large window with ficus. If you are unsure how soon you can start, the tree itself is a good guide. Once the weather starts warming up you should see new buds appear or existing buds looking like they are ready to pop. For my ficus that was already a few weeks ago.

I haven't done any full defoliation on any ficus this round (have done a cotoneaster), but have done a few partial defoliation on some that I repotted in the last 2 weeks.

Yes. Very excited now I no longer need to sit on my front step, staring at dormant trees waiting for the weather to warm up. Had quite a few seeds sprout and some of the cuttings I took in autumn have put on a new layer of growth.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

NickityNic wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 7:23 am Is Anyone defoliating ficus in sydney yet or will you wait for 15 degree nights. I want to do 2 defoliations this year due to the plants being really healthy and in branch development phase so i guess i need to start early. Thoughts on early spring tropical work? Whos getting excited?
What do you mean by branch development phase? My thoughts are that if you are developing branches you wouldn't defoliate. Defloiation is for increasing ramification and getting smaller leaves and will slow down "development". Unless you mean developing ramification!!
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Tropical”