Fig Clump Forest ?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Fig Clump Forest ?

Post by Bretts »

I got this fig clump in a 3 group deal about a year ago. I think I paid too much for it but it had to come with the deal and I wanted the other two. Basically I got three trees at about 30% discount of what the owner paid. I think he paid too much for this one to start with.
I worked out this one probably cost me $200 :|

I think there is a clump or forest in there some where but I think I need some help finding it ;)
fig.jpg
fig2.jpg
fig3.jpg
fig4.jpg
fig5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on January 10th, 2010, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Fig Clump Forest ?

Post by Jamie »

definately a clump in there for sure brett! if it is really healthy, start by defoliating every leaf, and then go from there!

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Shannon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Clerodendrum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Sunshine Coast, BCI

Post by Shannon »

Hey mate I like the 4th pic as a front I'd put plenty of movement in the trunks, I finish styling a similar tree the other day.......
Here's a few pic's.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shannon on January 10th, 2010, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

Brett, looking at the lovely movement in the trunk, I would be tempted in elongating the righthand side and making it into a semi-cascade. Only because a clump may slightly hide the trunk withits canopy, whereas a semi cascade or even a cascade may show off its trunk movement much more. Keeping in mind also that the twist and curves will only get better as time progresses. It slightly reminds me of the movements in a dragon.
Shannons lovely clump is different to yours because its roots are just like an interwoven fabric which looks good as a clump. Anyway its only an opinion.
Last edited by Edward Scissorhand on January 10th, 2010, 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

great work shannon; thats the way i'd be taking this piece bretts. :D 8-)
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Ah I new someone was mucking around with a clump forrest Shannon and that is what I would love to do with this it looks fantastic but I am not sure it will work that way. I also thought about the stump forest style that Robert Stevens has been doing
rob.jpg
Something like this might be possible but alot of the stump would be carved away. There has been no deterioration of the deadwood with no special care!

Thanks for the semi cascade idea Edward that is an interesting option I will consider.

What do you think will happen if I just cut this back hard(instead of defoliating) as the growth is quite leggy at the moment.

It is pretty healthy. I would rather give it one more season to toughen up before I punish it too much but I think it could take a chop.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Removed some of the deadwood and the large root at the front that was in the way.
Starting to see that Line Edward was talking about but I asm still undeciden which way to go.
A close up of the front and back now.
figa.jpg
figb.jpg
The circled bit could be moved down as it has it's own root. Maybe that will suit the flow better?
figav.jpg
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thought I might as well move it. I ended up removing the connection and uprooting this section to move it. The roots should sustain it and I would expect to get some roots on the section that is now in the dirt.
figm.jpg
A bit hard to see how it will look at the moment but I think this will work after a bit of tweeking of the position/angle. As well as opening up that line to the right it also brings some branches to the front plane as a big issue with this is that most branches are coming from the back.
Shannon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Clerodendrum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Sunshine Coast, BCI

Post by Shannon »

Hey Bretts, I found it difficult to determine the front and flow of my clump, I started by defoliating (as jamie said) then wired everything i could and had a bit of a play moving things around until it just clicked. ;)

But it will still need a lot of fine tuning ..... (another day)

Return to “Tropical”