Identification of tree

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
India25
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4

Identification of tree

Post by India25 »

Any ideas as to what this tree is would be much appreciated.

I salvaged it a year ago, stuck in someone’s backyard, looking very unwell. The owners were unable to tell me what sort of Bonsai it was. I think it could be a European Ash, but each delicate branch stems out to smaller stems that contain approximately 6 leaves each, which doesn’t really reflect an Ash. Its branches drop downwards, the outer of each leaf is smooth (no ridges), and it has a opposite leaf arrangement. I’ve had it for one year and it has kept all its leaves, occasionally shedding dead growth.

It is growing ferociously and has doubled its size in almost a year. I’m concerned how big it will grow and am at a quandary, as recently the tips of its leaves have started to brown then blacken. It also had a little mold on it's stems and black spots on a few leaves. I have since repotted her in a larger pot with good quality bonsai potting mix and plant food, and also sprayed with Yates Rose Gun (black spot & insect killer).

I don’t know whether it likes full sun, no wind, a good flush of water, fertilizer etc??? Really need to know what this tree is so I can care for her better.

I've attached 4 pics of the leaf formation, blackening of leaves on tips, her trunk and a full picture of her height.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Identification of tree

Post by Daluke »

Looks like some sort of ficus? Maybe Benjamina.
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

Not a ficus. They have alternating leaves.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Species will vary according to location. Giving a location will often reduce the number of possibilities and give you a more accurate ID.
Also let us know if the tree grows indoors or outside where you live as I note the pics appear to be inside.

The leaf you have posted is properly called bipinnate or tripinnate (the lower stems are divided again before the leaflets). Where the leaf stem divides into sub stems then the actual leaf blades are attached. The picture - 'leaf formation' is actually one entire leaf.

That certainly rules out any ficus as all ficus have simple leaves.

My first guess was white cedar - Melia azedarach based on the leaf arrangement but Melia has pointed leaflets and the close up shots don't look right.

As for growing ferociously and being concerned with how big it might grow, you are in charge. You can prune the stems to reduce or limit the size. The lower stems show that regrowth after pruning is possible. I can see several spots where it was pruned previously and sprouted new shoots.
Leaf size can also be reduced in compound leaf plants simply by cutting the leaf stems. I frequently do that to reduce leaf size on my wisterias.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:lost: maybe "china doll" - Radermachera sinica?
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Daluke »

China doll tree?
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Daluke »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:14 pm :lost: maybe "china doll" - Radermachera sinica?
Haha beat me to it
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Daluke wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:15 pm
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: October 28th, 2021, 8:14 pm :lost: maybe "china doll" - Radermachera sinica?
Haha beat me to it
:tu: I heard you thinking!
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

China Doll was my first thought
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
India25
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by India25 »

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time out to identify my bonsai! :tu:

You all gave me such valuable information. I have never heard of a China Doll, and upon looking at google information, it sure does look like my tree. I am afraid in that case I might not have been caring for her as she needs.

In response to Shibui, we reside in Phegans Bay, which is in the Central Coast/NSW. I picked her up initially though from the Blue Mountains/Katoomba, and she has always been in a pot, outdoors. Currently she is on our balcony, which does get a bit of wind and lots of covered, indirect sunlight. I have kept her away from direct sunlight though, which is possibly the wrong thing to do, if she is a China Doll. I only brought her inside as I thought the wind was causing the blackened leaves, though she really drooped when I did and then I took her outside again.

When you say trim the stems Shibui, should I also trim the long stalky branches that have no growth at the bottom of the tree, and should I also move her to an area in the garden where she’ll get direct sunlight and no wind? It does get quite hot here so I am concerned her leaves will burn.

Again, thanks everyone for your sharing of knowledge and any more tips please throw them my way.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

India25 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 10:13 am Currently she is on our balcony, which does get a bit of wind and lots of covered, indirect sunlight. I have kept her away from direct sunlight though, which is possibly the wrong thing to do, if she is a China Doll.
I have two China Dolls (regular plants in pots; not bonsai), both which have been sitting under a verandah for close to ten years getting no direct sunlight and they seem pretty happy. Having said that more sunlight generally equals more growth, so you could move it unto a sunnier position and keep an eye on it on warmer days.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Definitely China Doll, I have one just under 15cms which I potted into a Bonsai this spring. Has a very straight growth habit so hard to bend and tamogun. The wood is soft so rots very fast and can’t be used for feature. Aged bark is exclusive however and the dark green leaves a very nice accent to the pale bark. You will have to hack to where you want the trunk height to be and it will back bud profusely. I am in Victoria and have kept it outdoors al through the year albeit in a sunny location. The leaves will reduce in size but the trick is to be relentless in keeping minimal leaves on the stalk and pruning regularly.
It’s a tough tree in my experience so unless you are fully committed to creating a bonsai out of it, would recommend using it as an indoor feature plant.
India25
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by India25 »

greg27 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 12:41 pm
India25 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 10:13 am Currently she is on our balcony, which does get a bit of wind and lots of covered, indirect sunlight. I have kept her away from direct sunlight though, which is possibly the wrong thing to do, if she is a China Doll.
I have two China Dolls (regular plants in pots; not bonsai), both which have been sitting under a verandah for close to ten years getting no direct sunlight and they seem pretty happy. Having said that more sunlight generally equals more growth, so you could move it unto a sunnier position and keep an eye on it on warmer days.
Thanks Greg for the advice. I think I will slide her over to the side of the balcony that gets full sun for a few hours in the morning, and slide her back to shade in the afternoon sun.
India25
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by India25 »

Akhi wrote: October 29th, 2021, 1:01 pm Definitely China Doll, I have one just under 15cms which I potted into a Bonsai this spring. Has a very straight growth habit so hard to bend and tamogun. The wood is soft so rots very fast and can’t be used for feature. Aged bark is exclusive however and the dark green leaves a very nice accent to the pale bark. You will have to hack to where you want the trunk height to be and it will back bud profusely. I am in Victoria and have kept it outdoors al through the year albeit in a sunny location. The leaves will reduce in size but the trick is to be relentless in keeping minimal leaves on the stalk and pruning regularly.
It’s a tough tree in my experience so unless you are fully committed to creating a bonsai out of it, would recommend using it as an indoor feature plant.

Thanks Akhi. Yes, I find her a difficult tree to care for, and I have no experience with bonsai's either. I would love to have her as an indoor feature as you say, but I tried bringing her indoors where she received lots of indirect light from large windows, and she reacted negatively by drooping heavily. I could possibly try again.... It's interesting you say that about the roots as I have found a few of her larger roots have snapped off. I thought it was root rot, but there was no smell and she was still growing little white roots underneath. She is a beautiful tree so I'll keep persevering.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

I find the roots quickly fill the pot mid spring through late autumn. I haven't tried to grow it indoors, hearing about the sulking when it comes indoors sounds like a water draw issue which can be linked to the potting mix too dry or too wet or dead roots which from the leaves doesn't seem like the case. Good luck nevertheless.

Return to “Species Identification”