ID Allocasuarina?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

ID Allocasuarina?

Post by PWC »

I have couple of these growing by my dam not sure what type hoping someone might be able to help. I took layer of one as it has smaller foliage than most i have seen before. They are multi trunked and around years old approximately 2.5 meters tall and no sign of seed pods.
IMG_3330 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: ID Allocasuarina?

Post by shibui »

ID for Cas can sometimes be done from the cones but I note you don't have any. That tree may be immature or may be a male plant.

More definitive is to take a close look at the actual leaves. Casuarina leaves are tiny. There's a whorl of leaves around each of the joints in the stems. Take a green stem and pull. It should break at a joint/node then look really closely at the proximal end (end that was closest to the tree) and count the tiny serrations around the joint - those are the leaves. You may need a magnifier to get a good look. Different species have differing numbers of leaves around the joints. You will probably have to check a few joints to get an average as numbers seem to vary slightly from individual to individual and from branch to branch.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

Here is a magnified view of one of the joints with the triangular leaves around it as Shibui describes above:
CasuarinaLeaves.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

PWC wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:50 pm Take a green stem and pull. It should break at a joint/node then look really closely at the proximal end (end that was closest to the tree) and count the tiny serrations around the joint - those are the leaves.
Redsonic wrote: December 7th, 2021, 1:48 pm Here is a magnified view of one of the joints with the triangular leaves around it as Shibui describes above:
Thankyou both for the feed back, I will have a go and see what I come up with.
Peter.

Return to “Species Identification”