Help please ID

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Pickers84
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Western Australia

Help please ID

Post by Pickers84 »

Hi everyone, first post I've been lurking some time.

I got one of these and not sure what "one of these" is?? Any ideas and does it have potential?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Help please ID

Post by dansai »

Its a species of Casuarina/Allocasuarina. Possibly a local WA species. Casuarina have been used a lot for Bonsai. A search on this forum should give you a fair bit of general info. It looks a little underfeed. Was it/is it root bound?
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

If the green 'needles' are segmented it is likely to be an (allo)casuarina but the photo does not give enough detail to be absolutely sure. Close shots of bark and green twigs will give better clues as to ID.
If it is some sort of Casuarina they are differentiated by the number of tiny leaves around each node but you'll need a magnifier to see them and count.

Agree that it looks a bit anaemic. Probably nutrient deficiency but some of mine turn yellowish when they are root bound - either because the soil does not dry and root rot sets in or because the pot no longer holds enough water and they dehydrate in hot weather. Mine have done better with regular root pruning and repotting.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pickers84
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Western Australia

Post by Pickers84 »

Thank you both for the replies! Ill take a close up of the foliage tomorrow and post it. I'm not sure if the roots are bound but will check it out. I'll also have a look at the forums too.

Return to “Species Identification”