Thinking crataegus oxycantha?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Thinking crataegus oxycantha?

Post by Phil Rabl »

I tried several times to get something to grow from those big red berries on the Hawthorns along Northbourne Avenue in Canberra. No luck. As far as I can tell the seeds are non-viable. I am told they are a hybrid developed by ACT government staff - maybe that explains something.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I collected seed from a tree in Reid and managed to get some seed to grow though germination rate was low.
Did you use any seed treatment Phil?
Some fruiting species require acid treatment that mimics seed passing through bird or animal digestive tract before the seed will germinate well.
Many cool climate species have inhibitors that prevent seed germinating in winter. Cold treatment is used to simulate winter passing and the seeds then germinate better.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

squizzy wrote: April 29th, 2022, 2:00 pm Treeman. Having said monogyna is that a particularly desirable variety? If yes is it best to produce more by seed or by softwood cutting or hardwood cutting on heat now? Air layered isn’t an option.
Cheers. Squizzy
Any variety of Haw is worth growing. However, they are difficult to propagate from seed. For what it's worth, the recommendation is to warm moist stratify for 3 to 4 months at about 25C then cold stratify for 6 months at 4C. Or you can treat them with concentrated sulphuric acid and do away with the warm stratification. One of my books also advises to pick the fruit when still immature (fully developed but still greenish) to avoid the build up of germination inhibitors. I have put Mexican hawthorn and C x Smithiana into warm stratification just recently. I don't have high hopes but we'll see.
Smithiana is actually a nice species with big fruit and with leaves that colour well in autumn too.
I found cutting next to impossible but I have a Japanese article that explains taking Japanese Hawthorn (cuneata) from cuttings in spring but I haven't seen that species here.
Washington thorn is easy from seed and root cuttings . In fact all are easy from root cuttings about 4-6 mm thick and about 15cm long but the grafted ones can't be used obviously. You can get some really nice natural shapes with root cuttings. You can also graft selected vars. directly onto the roots.
Usually you can find many seedlings around old trees in hedges and paddocks and these would save a lot of time if you can dig them up.
If you want the red one, you will have to graft onto the seedlings which is very easy.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Phil Rabl wrote: April 29th, 2022, 9:24 pm I tried several times to get something to grow from those big red berries on the Hawthorns along Northbourne Avenue in Canberra. No luck. As far as I can tell the seeds are non-viable.
They are viable guaranteed, but you have to crack the germination code. (The Da Vinci code is easier)
Mike
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

treeman wrote: April 30th, 2022, 2:24 pm
Phil Rabl wrote: April 29th, 2022, 9:24 pm I tried several times to get something to grow from those big red berries on the Hawthorns along Northbourne Avenue in Canberra. No luck. As far as I can tell the seeds are non-viable.
They are viable guaranteed, but you have to crack the germination code. (The Da Vinci code is easier)
:lol: In my 50+ years in Canberra I never saw a seedling under any of the Hawthorns. So maybe the trees don't know the germination code either.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

Well I love a challenge. It’s the first I’ve head of any weedy plant being so hard to propagate from seed. I e. Is read a few articles claiming the seed can take up to 18 months to germinate?
Neil I’m also wondering if it could be this Turkish variety?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crataegus_tanacetifolia
It seems to match what I seen in the tree. I will go back on Monday and check if it is thornless.
Squizzy.
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

You can also use some sandpaper to get through the tough seed coat instead of sulphuric acid, which I suspect is used for commercial quantities. Just need a small entrance for water and then cold stratify as indicated by Treeman above.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

The trees along Northbourne Ave, in Canberra according to this site are From the Yarralumla Nursery; a spontaneous hybrid of Crataegus Mexicana and Crataegus azarolus in the 1920s.

https://www.cityservices.act.gov.au/__d ... thiana.pdf

Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.

Return to “Species Identification”