[SOLVED] Plant Identification & Styling Advise Needed

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

[SOLVED] Plant Identification & Styling Advise Needed

Post by Ryan1979b »

Hey all, This is a plat I collected the other day from the rugged beach front rock face near Newcastle, I was wondering if anyone knew what type of species it was & if they had any styling tips as I am a bit stuck for ideas. As I'm a bit unaware of its growing habits I am a bit hesitant to do anything major. I will be looking at cutting back the bottom stripped branch & styling that a bit too, making it less promminant

Cheers

Ryan
Identification solved

By Melaquin

coastal rosemary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jamie on May 27th, 2010, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ID solved
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: Plant Identification & Styling Advise Needed

Post by Asus101 »

If you are stuck leave it and look at it each day. Think about where you collected it, what was the surrounds like? what image can you think up?
Let the tree tell you how it wants to be styled, it will look the much better for it.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

My first suggestion would be to leave it for 12-24 months to get it really healthy. Then think about a semi cascade. Nice looking trunk, though very feminine.
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

semi cascade and full cascade both have problems that would need to be addressed.
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean

Post by Jarrod »

Sorry like what? I see a great soft semi cascade in this tree.
Jarrod

Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

The lower trunk is too straight. Looking at the growth, I would think it is an old tree with stiff wood.
To get a convincing cascade of any form, there will need to be some serious bending done to get it down, but also to compliment the movement in the upper trunk. This will need a vigorous tree, and I predict it will take a good number of years to achieve this.
Also it looks to be a native. There are many natives that can not be brought down lower than its roots otherwise it will weaken and die. It would be worth finding out more about the tree before taking that chance.
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean

Post by Jarrod »

Thanks for the response, I agree the lower part of the tree is too straight but, as it is a collected tree you use what you have. I also agree that you need to get this tree to grow vigorously before attempting anything with it. That said I still see a nice semi cascade in it. But only time will tell.
Jarrod

MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

This is probably way out of line but anything is possible... crush a leaf... is it aromatic? Like rosemary? Rosemary is hardy, tends to grow like this and could tolerate ocean exposure and hot sun. The leaves look similar, as does the trunk. Worth a guess but maybe it's just my vision and not sufficient high definition on the leaves.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Jarrod wrote:Thanks for the response, I agree the lower part of the tree is too straight but, as it is a collected tree you use what you have. I also agree that you need to get this tree to grow vigorously before attempting anything with it. That said I still see a nice semi cascade in it. But only time will tell.
You can.. rather should be able to bend it, there are many methods to do it. As it is, it will need such bending.
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Ryan1979b »

Thanks all, My original thoughts were Coastal Rosemary, we have a lot of it around work but it looks slightly different, not much though. The leaves look a bit thicker, but that could just be due to the harsh location I found it in. I think I will wait a while & see how the the plant grows, its vigor & what new shoots it produces. Sorry to be a pain But I have two more plants I am eyeing or. They both have grown on soil collected in a dish on a rock platform so are easily extracted & naturals have a shallow wide root base. They are common Natives found in harsh coastal area's, but I'm not sure exactly what they are as well. I took some leaf samples:

The bottom left is a dense shrub with dark hard rough bark with long needle like leave (not sure if its a tea tree of sorts

The top right, is a large plant with a very paper Bark look to the trunk, they are easily wind swept with thick contorted trunks creeping low over the rocks & thin foliage branches (myrtle or something along those lines?)

I know its not much but any assistance would be great, I'll get some photos up when they have been collected & potted. I have only been a member a few weeks & am already addicted to this site hehe... appreciate all the help so far.

Cheers all for the help.

Regards

Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
platinum
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by platinum »

hi ryan.
i would say yes to coastal rosemary (westringa).
they take on this appearance in the harsh conditions,coastal rocky cliffs.
hope it lives.

platinum
its not the dog in the fight,,,,its the fight in the dog.

Return to “Species Identification”