ID banksia and other?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

ID banksia and other?

Post by PWC »

Just off the golf course and found a couple of interesting trees, the first is a Banksia with small leaves, but which Banksia? The leaf size looks like it would a good candidate to try out. I will take cuttings in spring.

The second I have no Idea, but it's amazing what you see in the deep rough. Any ideas would be helpful It has no seed pods that I could see but thought it may be a chance propagating from cuttings.

Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_1204.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: ID banksia and other?

Post by Boics »

Banksia spinulosa perhaps?

Other looks non native, cypress, juniper type thing.
They can be hard to identify.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The banksia looks like a cultivar called 'Giant Candles'. I believe it is a hybrid between 2 different species?
The second appears to be a conifer which are very difficult to tell apart just from a few random shots of leaves. or better ID it is good to see: habit - overall shape of the whole plant, leaves - good close ups if possible, trunk and bark can also help tell the difference between some species. Flowers are often the key to ID but not always available. Location can also give good clues - 'golf course' is only a tiny bit helpful.

Just from those leaves I'll take a stab at a cedar of some sort.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

Thanks Boics and Shibui,that gives me some idea to start with.
Peter.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DangerousDave »

One could wait a veeery long time for flowers to be available on a conifer :lost:

^was that a botany joke? No wonder I can’t hear any laughing.. oh well..
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

shibui wrote:The banksia looks like a cultivar called 'Giant Candles'. I believe it is a hybrid between 2 different species?
Spot on with the banksia. "Banksia 'Giant Candles' is a registered Banksia cultivar. It is a hybrid between the Gosford form of B. ericifolia (heath-leaved banksia) and a form of B. spinulosa var. cunninghamii. "

Do you think the second could be some form of callitris?
Peter.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

You've only given us a couple of pics of the leaves to make wild guesses on. Callitris often have a recognisable shape - hence the request for pic of overall tree shape. Trunk, bark and fruit (cone) would also help but you've only offered a couple of shots of the foliage so you are only likely to get wild guesses. When one was a native my second guess was going to be callitris but the leaves just didn't look right. If other trees in the area are natives that would lend weight to the callitris guess but you haven't given any of those clues to help.
One could wait a veeery long time for flowers to be available on a conifer

^was that a botany joke? No wonder I can’t hear any laughing.. oh well..
:tounge:
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

shibui wrote:Trunk, bark and fruit (cone) would also help but you've only offered a couple of shots of the foliage so you are only likely to get wild guesses
I take your point, being deep in the rough made it difficult to get the complete tree. The second shot in the original post is the bark of the tree, the shot below is an enlargement of the foliage.
IMG_1210.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

The second shot appears to be the bark of a young branch. Mature bark of callitris should be dark and deeply ridged.
Your foliage is quite angular. I think the callitris sp I am familiar with seem to be softer and rounded.
Your location of South Australia gives no clue whether the golf course is in the city or some other part of a large state. Location may help. Whether you suspect the tree to be local or planted can help. Photos of habit, mature bark, trunk, fruit will all help. Not sure how else I can say it :roll:
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

shibui wrote:he second shot appears to be the bark of a young branch. Mature bark of callitris should be dark and deeply ridged.
Your foliage is quite angular. I think the callitris sp I am familiar with seem to be softer and rounded.
Your location of South Australia gives no clue whether the golf course is in the city or some other part of a large state. Location may help. Whether you suspect the tree to be local or planted can help
I don't think the tree would have been planted based on its position. I am in the lower south east of the state. The picture below is the one I was referring to it appeared to be a multi trunk tree.I have included another that I had also taken that might be better.
IMG_1212.PNG
IMG_1211.PNG

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Peter.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I'm getting 4 Callitris species for SA - C. glaucophylla, C. drumondii, C. columellaris, C. canescens. I know 2 of them but I'm not particularly familiar with any of those because they don't grow near me. We have C. endlicherii in my area.

Return to “Species Identification”