[I.D] Native? Collection Info

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

[I.D] Native? Collection Info

Post by Pearcy001 »

Hello all,

I was down at the in-laws over the last week and noticed this at their property. Looks to me to be a native, Wondering if anyone can confirm species from my snaps below?

I am also seeking advice on collecting the species once if is identified too if possible?

Cheers,
Pearcy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: [I.D] Native? Collection Info

Post by shibui »

Looks very much like Thryptomene. I think pink flowers are usually T. saxicola which is a WA native but grown extensively in gardens and for cut flowers. The common garden Thryptomene that has been planted extensively is T. calcyna from the Grampians but usually has white flowers. There are other Thryptomene species but I'm not sure if any are native to your inlaws' area (or indeed where that may be?)
You also haven't said whether this is likely to have been planted or a local native. It is always possible that some garden plants can self seed outside the garden and thus appear to be locals in nearby bush land.

So far I have not been able to transplant any older thryptomene. All attempts have very quickly died. Not certain if they will shoot from bare wood but I suspect not.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: [I.D] Native? Collection Info

Post by Pearcy001 »

shibui wrote: October 4th, 2019, 5:13 am Looks very much like Thryptomene. I think pink flowers are usually T. saxicola which is a WA native but grown extensively in gardens and for cut flowers. The common garden Thryptomene that has been planted extensively is T. calcyna from the Grampians but usually has white flowers. There are other Thryptomene species but I'm not sure if any are native to your inlaws' area (or indeed where that may be?)
You also haven't said whether this is likely to have been planted or a local native. It is always possible that some garden plants can self seed outside the garden and thus appear to be locals in nearby bush land.

So far I have not been able to transplant any older thryptomene. All attempts have very quickly died. Not certain if they will shoot from bare wood but I suspect not.
Thanks Neil, maybe it's best I just leave this one to do it's thing them. It has been planted so cannot really say if it's local to a particular area.

Cheers,
Pearcy

Return to “Species Identification”