[ID] Some sort of hackberry?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

[ID] Some sort of hackberry?

Post by greg27 »

Hi all, I found this bad boy growing behind my shed - there are another three that I left, but I grabbed the biggest one and chucked it in a pot.

I ran a pic of the leaves through PlantNet and it came up with hackberry - is this even close? A quick Google tells me some local councils in Adelaide use the common hackberry as a street tree so it definitely grows here.

I left the top of the roots exposed as they look kind of cool and wired up one branch to level it out slightly, other than that I've left it as is.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: [ID] Some sort of hackberry?

Post by shibui »

Now that's interesting. Medium shot sows serrated edges but closer shot shows an entire leaf edge.
I this some sort of test of have you got the photos mixed up?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Apologies, that was pretty misleading of me - I didn't even notice those leaves looked so different.

The closeup is what I ran through PlantNet and is of some newer growth. Attached is a photo of a more mature leaf with the serrations, that PlantNet is identifying as a European hackberry (Celtis australis).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

DSC_8467.JPG
This is my Celtis, but I don't think it's australis... It's a weed here in Brisbane, and I dug it up from a friend's place
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by terryb »

Hi greg27,

These images show southern hackberry Celtis australis viewtopic.php?f=134&t=22260&p=224979&hi ... is#p224979. The leaves have an asymmetrical base, are a greyish green colour and have a matt finish rather than bright, shiny green. I can see some asymmetrical bases in your first leaf photo.

Adelaide councils use both southern hackberry and also common hackberry C. occidentalis as street trees. If you think this one originated from a street tree, check your local council web pages - some of them list the street trees they have planted. They grow super well from root cuttings, so a neighbour's tree may be sending up suckers in your yard.

terryb
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

terryb wrote: October 11th, 2019, 11:04 am These images show southern hackberry Celtis australis
Thanks mate, I'm going to call it as Celtis australis. My council doesn't list tree species but mostly I'm surrounded by natives (Queensland box and bottlebrush) but I'll go for a bit of a wander later this morning to see if I can spot the source of these. Edit: turns out I'm blind - there's a huge one on the council verge two doors down from me.

Any luck using the ones you found back in 2016 as bonsai?
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by terryb »

greg27 wrote: October 12th, 2019, 6:00 am Any luck using the ones you found back in 2016 as bonsai?
I've been learning how to work with them. No big, gnarly trunks but I have a couple of projects underway. Will try and get some shots for you. Dug another three a month or so ago. They just keep popping up.

Return to “Species Identification”