shrub unknown

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

shrub unknown

Post by its_kano »

Hey All, I have been meaning to introduce myself, so I am a new grower and rather new to the bonsai scene my father was a horticulturist and growing up i would see him spending hours in the garden and i just simply found it boring aha . After my Dad passed away 10 years ago i have developed a gravitation toward plants & trees. In the last 6 months i have been researching bonsai and i cant wait to get a collection going. I have been successful with a Buddhas belly and a juniper so far. This shrub/hedge was dug up on a job . I am an electrician and the customer wanted some garden lighting and he said it had to go.I liked the trunk and branch structure so decided to pot it up straight away and see if she will live on. I am pretty sure it is a native and i don't like my chances as the root system was very average. It was worth a try as it was getting thrown away.
I have used a bonsai mix from my local nursery at caringbah/Taren point and she is sitting in the shade atm. I was hoping if someone had any tips or advice or an ID of this plant would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance, and look forward to progressing in my bonsai addiction along with many others on here ;)
Kane.
see below picture
https://ibb.co/hHfPW5F
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: shrub unknown

Post by Daluke »

Looks like a diosma
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Sounds like you have done everything right but I have not had success transplanting Diosma so if that's what it is don't be too disappointed if it doesn't survive.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by its_kano »

Thank you for your replies. fingers crossed!

Return to “Species Identification”