[ID] please help rogue seedlings

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

[ID] please help rogue seedlings

Post by PWC »

I have a few rogue seedlings I would like some help to identify. I collected seeds earlier this year mainly Callitris, Banksia and Ash, the ones here were not intentionally collected and have popped up either in my seedling trays or around the property.
IMG_1485 (Large).JPG
IMG_1483 (Large).JPG
IMG_1482 (Large).JPG
IMG_1481 (Large).JPG
IMG_1480 (Large).JPG
These are all only about 4 - 5 months old so may be difficult to ID, the two that could be Chinese / English elms are the same plant showing older and new leaves, the older are more oval in shape than the new growth.

Any ideas would be appreciated, still can't get the orientation on the photos sorted.

Peter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: [ID] please help rogue seedlings

Post by shibui »

Top pic appears to be some sort of prunus - probably a plum unless you have some cherries around or have put cherry pips in the compost.
2 and 3 are indeed an elm. Difficult to tell which at this stage, esp as you have given no scale to judge size of the leaves. Elms can grow from leftover pieces of root if you reuse potting mix. Chinese elm grow reasonably easy from seed if there's a mature tree around but I have rarely seen EE seedlings
Maple? Could be a maple. Leaves look quite large so sycamore is a possibility as they self seed easily. Check for Opposite leaf pattern for maples.
Last one is more challenging. Leaves appear to be alternate which rules out all maples but would allow liquidamber. Liquidamber smell is distinctive when leaves are crushed or when pruning.

There are still plenty of other possibilities which may become apparent as these mature a little more.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

OK .... I am not a horticulturalist and that will show in the following educated guesses ... so... listen to others rather than me. ;)

But for the sport of it and in order from top to bottom.

(1485)An ornamental pear of some kind? Pyrus Calleryana or something similar. I used to have one (or similar) in my garden and it still sprouts all the time.
(1482 and 1483) I reckon the two elms are English - the leaves seem wider and more aggressively serrated than Chinese; and the little stem look more like the English elms I am growing.
(1481) no real clue accept a generic maple as noted by you
(1480) young Trident Maple perhaps?

Again, just for kicks - others will know better and I'll exit stage door a little red-faced if they are all wrong.

:-)
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

shibui wrote: January 31st, 2020, 2:50 pm Top pic appears to be some sort of prunus - probably a plum unless you have some cherries around or have put cherry pips in the compost.
2 and 3 are indeed an elm. Difficult to tell which at this stage, esp as you have given no scale to judge size of the leaves. Elms can grow from leftover pieces of root if you reuse potting mix. Chinese elm grow reasonably easy from seed if there's a mature tree around but I have rarely seen EE seedlings
Maple? Could be a maple. Leaves look quite large so sycamore is a possibility as they self seed easily. Check for Opposite leaf pattern for maples.
Last one is more challenging. Leaves appear to be alternate which rules out all maples but would allow liquidamber. Liquidamber smell is distinctive when leaves are crushed or when pruning.
Shibui, I think you have pretty much nailed them all :worship: , I have included more detail of the leaf size of the elms below, these are not seedlings I am pretty sure they were cuttings I took somewhere on my wanderings. Can't help myself sometimes . :palm: There is a tree nearby that has a pink flower in spring that would probably be some form of prunus. Checking the Maple? against sycamore leaves on google looks very close. The last one is probably a liquid Amber as well.
IMG_1487 (Large).jpg
IMG_1486 (Large).jpg
Thanks once again for your response, it is much appreciated.
MJL wrote: January 31st, 2020, 3:02 pm OK .... I am not a horticulturalist and that will show in the following educated guesses ... so... listen to others rather than me. ;)

But for the sport of it and in order from top to bottom.

(1485)An ornamental pear of some kind? Pyrus Calleryana or something similar. I used to have one (or similar) in my garden and it still sprouts all the time.
(1482 and 1483) I reckon the two elms are English - the leaves seem wider and more aggressively serrated than Chinese; and the little stem look more like the English elms I am growing.
(1481) no real clue accept a generic maple as noted by you
(1480) young Trident Maple perhaps?

Again, just for kicks - others will know better and I'll exit stage door a little red-faced if they are all wrong.

:-)
Mark, you may not be a horticulturalist but your experience surpasses mine and thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion. I think your on the money in regards to the Elm,on the others I think we would both bow to Shibuis' greater knowledge. :yes:

Regards
Peter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

The last one in the green pot looks like a nasty weed that has black berries and a corky bark....Corky passion vine.if it starts producing tendrils, get rid of it...
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

melbrackstone wrote: January 31st, 2020, 4:30 pm The last one in the green pot looks like a nasty weed that has black berries and a corky bark....Corky passion vine.if it starts producing tendrils, get rid of it...
Thanks for the warning, I'll keep a close watch on it, don't need any more weeds.
Peter.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I concur with Mark on the English Elm diagnosis, it seems far too broad and heavily serrated to be Chinese Elm.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

TimS wrote: January 31st, 2020, 5:12 pm I concur with Mark on the English Elm diagnosis, it seems far too broad and heavily serrated to be Chinese Elm.
Thanks Tim, I think we can call that one solved! :yes:
Peter.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

TimS wrote: January 31st, 2020, 5:12 pm I concur with Mark on the English Elm diagnosis, it seems far too broad and heavily serrated to be Chinese Elm.
X3 ... I think Mark nailed it (particularly as you mention cuttings, I think that seals the deal).

I'm thinking liquidamber on the last one, so maybe it's not as "coronavirus" as has been postulated ... but maybe it is - watch it ! :shock:
:beer:
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

shibui wrote: January 31st, 2020, 2:50 pm Maple? Could be a maple. Leaves look quite large so sycamore is a possibility as they self seed easily. Check for Opposite leaf pattern for maples.
After seeing one of Alpinearts old posts I think this one is a Sycamore maple https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... ore#p74513
Peter.
gordonb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Hamilton Bonsai Club

Post by gordonb »

PWC wrote: February 1st, 2020, 9:53 pm
shibui wrote: January 31st, 2020, 2:50 pm Maple? Could be a maple. Leaves look quite large so sycamore is a possibility as they self seed easily. Check for Opposite leaf pattern for maples.
After seeing one of Alpinearts old posts I think this one is a Sycamore maple https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... ore#p74513
I was going to check my sycamore (a seedling from my Mum's tree) becuase that is what i was thinking, sycamore. I am at work (in spite of the hour, dammit) so if i remember, i will try to get a photo in the morning to post and compare.
Gordon - Thames, New Zealand

"On the other hand, I have different fingers."
gordonb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Hamilton Bonsai Club

Post by gordonb »

The photos of my sycamore seedling - small leaves lower down, but the few leaves at the top are typical.
[image] https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/app. ... 765/medium [/image]
[image]https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/app. ... 766/medium[/image]

First time trying to upload/post ics, all I got is the url :oops: - but you can look at the pics on the link anyway, so ...
Gordon - Thames, New Zealand

"On the other hand, I have different fingers."
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

gordonb wrote: February 4th, 2020, 4:01 pm he photos of my sycamore seedling - small leaves lower down, but the few leaves at the top are typical.
Thanks Gordon, that confirms it for me :yes:
Peter.

Return to “Species Identification”