Help to ID this please

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Help to ID this please

Post by Raging Bull »

About fifteen years ago I bought a couple of trees for the garden at a market in northern NSW. They were to be "native frangipani", but having since seen native frangipani I can see they are definitely not that. They have small pale yellow flowers (sorry. don't have a photo) similar to many Eucalypts, but are not eucs. Every year a lot of seedlings pop up in the garden, so I potted and grew a couple for bonsai.
Can anyone please help with an ID of this tree?
DSC_0003e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Help to ID this please

Post by DangerousDave »

How does Tristaniopsis laurina work for you?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Frank - looks like my Water Gum ... which I think is the same a what DangerousDave is saying. So I'm going with DD.
Here's my Water Gum... that said, I haven't seen flower on mine in the year or so that I have had it. The bark and leaves are very similar to your photo.
IMG_8416.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thank you DD and MJL :worship: excellent detective work. I've looked at Mr Google and he seems to verify that it is a water gum. The only reservation I have is that a lot of the images of the flowers show long narrow oleander-like leaves around the flowers. Looks like I'll have to wait 'til spring when the garden trees flower to 100% verify the identity of these trees.
As a matter of interest, a few weeks ago I defoliated one of the two trees to see if leaf size reduction works on this tree and can report that the new leaves that grew quickly are indeed smaller than on the tree that wasn't defoliated.
Cheers, Frank
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

DD and MJL are correct by the looks of things. I have a few in the ground one with the rounder leaf like MJLs and the other couple with the thin narrow leaf.
Leaf size will also reduce with these plants which is a plus!

Return to “Species Identification”