ID please

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

ID please

Post by paul smedley »

Hi.

I have what would appear to be a cotoneaster but i am not too sure as it does not look like most that i have seen. it is a wee thing, spreading with small leaves. I know what a small leafed one (horizontals) looks like as i seem to have one growing in the garden as shown in pic #2 which i will attack in summer for cuttings (never knew what this horrid plant was until just now so i will stop trying to kill it). However the small one is a mystery. May i ask if anyone knows it. Planted in 2016 it has neither flowered or fruited (not a surprise as i have not cared for it at all), lost leaves or grown that much. I want to care for it how it deserves.

Is it a Rockspray?

Many thanks and cheers P
cottonester 1.jpeg
cotoneasterfront 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: ID please

Post by shibui »

The big one appears to be growing in the wrong direction for horizontalis. The key is in the name by the way.

There are plenty of other cotoneaster species. Several of them are weedy and spread when the birds eat the fruit. i think your large garden plant could be one of the weedy ones.
The one in the pot is not showing any of the characteristics I would want to see to ID the species. Probably because of its troubled upbringing.
Give it a chance to grow better this spring and ask again.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Re: ID please

Post by paul smedley »

shibui wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 5:15 pm The big one appears to be growing in the wrong direction for horizontalis. The key is in the name by the way.

There are plenty of other cotoneaster species. Several of them are weedy and spread when the birds eat the fruit. i think your large garden plant could be one of the weedy ones.
The one in the pot is not showing any of the characteristics I would want to see to ID the species. Probably because of its troubled upbringing.
Give it a chance to grow better this spring and ask again.
Thanks S.
I will repot, trim, fert and generally look after him and, once grown a bit more, will ask again as advised.
Cheers P

Return to “Species Identification”