Conifer Bush ID Please?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
AHE
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Conifer Bush ID Please?

Post by AHE »

Hello

New here, first post.

I’ve had an interest in Bonsai for a long time but not had the opportunity to devote more of my time to it.

This bush was dug out of my front yard on Monday. Wondering if anyone knows the species and has any advice on how to keep it alive and how to shape it?

I trimmed quite a bit of the foliage and roots to fit it in the pot. Used general potting mix and watered it with seaweed solution.

Also have an American Sweetgum (Liquidambar) which I’ve been growing out for a few years. Will post it separately.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Conifer Bush ID Please?

Post by shibui »

The photos are a bit dodgy but it looks like some sort of juniper. It doesn't really matter what type it is because all junipers respond to similar care.
For now it just needs to be put somewhere a bit protected but still with plenty of light. Water only when the mix starts to dry out a bit. No need for fertiliser until it is growing well which probably won't be until summer next year. Junipers are usually slow to recover from transplant. Even if you see some growth do not be tempted to try styling for at least a year of good growth.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Following on from what Shibui has said it will help to mist the foliage.
A small pump action spray bottle will do the trick. Spay as often as you can manage.
By keeping the foliage damp the tree has a better chance to establish new roots from the cut ones.
The soil needs to feel cool only when you stick your finger in. Over watering won't help it.
If you mist it before work and a couple of times after work that will help heaps.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Welcome AHE and I hope you enjoy the forum and of course the gentle art of bonsai.
I have dug a lot of trees in my time and the number one rule for me is don't do anything except water and love with maybe a little fertilizer for at least 12 months after digging. I know that advice is difficult for someone new to bonsai but if you need to "work" on a tree the best advice I could give would be to buy a plant at a nursery and work on that.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AHE
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by AHE »

Thanks heaps for the advice and fast responses. Really appreciate it.

I’ll be patient and leave it alone for the time being. Will water of course.

In terms of another tree to tinker with in the meantime, a few years ago I acquired this Liquidambar. Not sure if I should start another thread for advice?
It’s been growing out in a big pot. My goal is to make the trunk very tick and then shape it. I’d like to separate the other tree growing in there too. Any advice here?

I’m thinking of root pruning (never done it before, I’m sure it’s pot bound) and perhaps trunk chopping to get a better taper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

You should have no problem root pruning a liquidamber. The ones I have worked with are pretty resilient and I have cut lots of roots off without any problems. Your biggest problem will be getting it out of that bin. That thing must weigh a lot!

The smaller tree is almost certain to be a sucker growing from the trunk or roots. It may or may not have roots of its own. Even a tiny bit of root will usually be enough to keep them alive when transplanted and if there's no roots at all just treat it as a cutting and hope it survives. Otherwise consider a twin trunk bonsai. That side of the main trunk does not appear to have many branches so a second trunk might just fill it in a bit better.

A trunk chop and wire up a side branch to shorten the current trunk will automatically make the existing trunk(s) look thicker than they look now.

Liquidamber can make good bonsai and are certainly tough enough to survive beginners learning about bonsai.
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

Hi AHE,
that liquidamber is very nice stock to be playing with, I must say!
If i was you, i would leave the second trunk be. keep it as an awesome twin trunk. thats just me though......

heres some examples of how it could work for you in the future by keeping the second trunk....

Image Image Image
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
AHE
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by AHE »

Those examples look great! You may have just changed my mind about keeping that second tree in there.

That’s the kind of thickness I’m aiming for - the tree will be finished when it looks like that.

I’m a bit scared of the trunk chop. Where do you recommend I chop it?
Would it then be a matter of wiring one of the branches up to form the new trunk section?

Can you tell I’m a beginner? Haha
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I've just tried to do a virt but the file is too big to post. Apologies I don't have the required software or tech knowhow to fix that.

There are 2 branches about halfway up the left side. That's one possible spot I would chop. Use the larger branch as a new leader.
That chop will still result in a fairly tall tree (if the rubbish bin is full size)

A slightly longer term project would be to chop the main trunk just above a smaller branch on the right side about 1/4 current trunk height. It will take longer to regrow the trunk but it would give far better taper and a really impressive thick trunk when it is grown.
AHE
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by AHE »

Thanks Shibui. I may take the longer term option here.

I’ve read some info on root pruning liquidambar. Is it best to root prune while dormant or actively growing?
This tree has never had a root pruning. Can the pruned roots be used to establish new trees (this may be a naive question)?

In terms of the trunk chop, is that best done in spring?

Thanks for the advice.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Good question about root cuttings :lost:
I just checked the species that grow from root cuttings thread https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... f=9&t=6055 but liquidamber is not listed.
My gut feeling is that it should grow Ok from roots because they sucker freely from the roots in most gardens and that is usually a pretty good indicator that they can also grow as root cuttings. Definitely try some out and let us know the outcome.
You should be able to get some good sized root pieces of a tree in a pot that size (I assume that's a full sized rubbish bin? Nothing else for scale in the photos so it can be hard to judge actual size.)
I have only ever root pruned liquidamber when they are dormant. That is pretty standard for deciduous trees though there are some brave pioneers trying summer root pruning in different places.
You should be able to chop your trunk any time but I usually like to leave larger cuts like this until the tree is active or about to be active so spring or summer would probably be safer.

As you are new at this I might add some advice about making large reductions like this.
Cut a bit above the new leader for a start - say 1 cm or so. Cutting too close can sometimes kill off the desired branch. When the new leader is growing strongly you can then reduce the stump with a diagonal cut and the leader should continue to grow.
Sometimes I leave an even longer stump and use that to tie the new leader into the required position. Cable ties can be a quick and useful method for a simple straight pull but traditional wiring also does the job. Either way reposition the new trunk leader before it gets too thick to bend easily.

You should probably also cut the second trunk when you do the main one. Left alone and intact there is a risk it may grow much better than the chopped one and end up too big. It looks like that second trunk could probably be a little more vertical so consider pulling it up a bit closer to the main trunk?
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Conifer Bush ID Please?

Post by matlea »

I've pulled a few liquid ambers from the ground, cutting the roots with a spade. Some of the roots left in the ground started growing new foliage. Haven't tried planting out root cuttings though.
AHE
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by AHE »

Hey guys

Just thought I’d give an update here.
Today I gave this liquidambar a root prune. Chopped slightly more than 60% by volume and repotted back into the same bin.
It’s a full sized bin for those that asked earlier. Will be reshaping the tree in spring.

The black pot in the pic is 20cm in diameter and there for reference only.

Took some of the roots and planted them in a pot to see if they’ll form another tree. Keep you posted if it works.

Return to “Species Identification”