Callitris seedlings?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Callitris seedlings?

Post by PWC »

I have what I believe to be callitris seedlings, however after 12 months growth i have some variation that leads me to think that one may be something different.

These have a darker in colour foliage
IMG_2072 (Large).JPG

The browning on the tips i think is a reaction to the cold.
.JPG[/attachment]
The taller one is lighter shade of green almost yellow and has a citrus smell to the foliage,it also is a lot stronger in its growth.

If anyone with experience growing Callitris from seed could help it would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Re: Callitris seedlings?

Post by SquatJar »

The yellow citrus smelling one may be Cupressus macrocarpa, do you have any idea about mother tree they came from or if from seed what the seed pod looked like?
Life's too short for boring pots
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

SquatJar wrote: July 26th, 2020, 11:28 am The yellow citrus smelling one may be Cupressus macrocarpa, do you have any idea about mother tree they came from or if from seed what the seed pod looked like?
You could be right, I should have taken more care recording the trees I collected seed from. At what age would expect mature foliage to appear?
Peter.
gyrza
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Atlas Cedar
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by gyrza »

I have about 200 callitris gracilis growing that I germinated last September and they do have colour variation. Although there is nothing as pronounced as yours. Walking around Mount Arapiles where I collected the seed from there is definitely a variation in colour within the same species.
I do have about 300 cupressus macrocarpa planted at the same time as well. Except for the difference of the cotyledon's it would have been impossible for me to tell the diference between the two plants for the first 9 months. My callitris have just started pushing mature foliage over the last few months so now the difference is obvious. Having a very poor sense of smell I cant really comment on that. I guess you will know more when you start seeing mature foliage.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

gyrza wrote: July 26th, 2020, 7:36 pm I guess you will know more when you start seeing mature foliage.
Thanks for the reply Gyrza, might find out this next growing season.
Peter.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

mature foliage can't be too far away
Life's too short for boring pots
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

I think that I can now say not callitris, best guess now is cupressus macrocarpa . At 18 months I would have expected to see a mature foliage by now if it was Callitris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.

Return to “Species Identification”