Identification of tree

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
India25
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Identification of tree

Post by India25 »

Akhi wrote: October 29th, 2021, 1:31 pm I find the roots quickly fill the pot mid spring through late autumn. I haven't tried to grow it indoors, hearing about the sulking when it comes indoors sounds like a water draw issue which can be linked to the potting mix too dry or too wet or dead roots which from the leaves doesn't seem like the case. Good luck nevertheless.
Yes, I think the dryness of the soil was an issue, as when I took her out to repot, the soil directly around her roots was dry and compacted like sand. Thanks again Akhi :)
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I know it as an Asian Bell tree or China Doll. If you decide not to keep it as a bonsai whatever you do, beware, don't plant it out in your garden. :shake: I had one and it grew very fast and I had it cut down when it reached over 7 meters. I removed as many roots as I could, but it keeps growing back from root fragments still in the ground, and that's been the case for about 5 years now.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Chinaberry?? - not a species I am familiar with and the way it grows maybe I don't want to get too familiar, esp given Raging bull's experiences.
Well done on the ID guys.
When you say trim the stems Shibui, should I also trim the long stalky branches that have no growth at the bottom of the tree, and should I also move her to an area in the garden where she’ll get direct sunlight and no wind? It does get quite hot here so I am concerned her leaves will burn.
The others have confirmed this is a very tough tree which means you can cut anywhere and be confident new shoots will grow. It also means you can cut right down low even if that means there is no leaves left on the tree. It will look like you have killed it but new shoots will emerge from the stems and grow again.
If you are not that brave then cut the main stems wherever you are happy initially and see how well it responds.
No new shoots will grow on the bare lower parts while the tree is allowed to grow up. Its plan is to grow as tall as possible so low growth is just a water of energy. You will have to exert some influence and convince (her) that new shoots low down are necessary by chopping all the taller ones. Normally new shoots grow close to where the trunks have been cut so if you want low shoots you have to cut low.

Re watering: I'm currently watering every day down here to keep my trees happy. When watering the tree needs a good soak so that water gets right into the centre of the root ball, otherwise the pot just gets a bit drier every day as the roots keep sucking water out. The more roots in a pot the harder it becomes to water properly as the roots fill all the spaces in the soil where water should go. Eventually it becomes impossible for water to penetrate and the tree will decline rapidly.
One way to get round this is a weekly soak in a bucket to make sure the soil and roots are properly wet. At some stage you should consider a repot where some roots are removed and fresh soil added. We do this every few years to make sure there is room for new roots to grow. Regular repotting keeps potted plants healthy and happy.

Good luck with your China Doll.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
India25
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by India25 »

Raging Bull wrote: October 29th, 2021, 3:38 pm I know it as an Asian Bell tree or China Doll. If you decide not to keep it as a bonsai whatever you do, beware, don't plant it out in your garden. :shake: I had one and it grew very fast and I had it cut down when it reached over 7 meters. I removed as many roots as I could, but it keeps growing back from root fragments still in the ground, and that's been the case for about 5 years now.
Thanks Raging Bull. I didn't know they could grow that high. I think I will attempt to keep it potted as a bonsai and trim her so she doesn't reach much more than her height at the moment :)
India25
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by India25 »

shibui wrote: October 29th, 2021, 5:12 pm Chinaberry?? - not a species I am familiar with and the way it grows maybe I don't want to get too familiar, esp given Raging bull's experiences.
Well done on the ID guys.
When you say trim the stems Shibui, should I also trim the long stalky branches that have no growth at the bottom of the tree, and should I also move her to an area in the garden where she’ll get direct sunlight and no wind? It does get quite hot here so I am concerned her leaves will burn.
The others have confirmed this is a very tough tree which means you can cut anywhere and be confident new shoots will grow. It also means you can cut right down low even if that means there is no leaves left on the tree. It will look like you have killed it but new shoots will emerge from the stems and grow again.
If you are not that brave then cut the main stems wherever you are happy initially and see how well it responds.
No new shoots will grow on the bare lower parts while the tree is allowed to grow up. Its plan is to grow as tall as possible so low growth is just a water of energy. You will have to exert some influence and convince (her) that new shoots low down are necessary by chopping all the taller ones. Normally new shoots grow close to where the trunks have been cut so if you want low shoots you have to cut low.

Re watering: I'm currently watering every day down here to keep my trees happy. When watering the tree needs a good soak so that water gets right into the centre of the root ball, otherwise the pot just gets a bit drier every day as the roots keep sucking water out. The more roots in a pot the harder it becomes to water properly as the roots fill all the spaces in the soil where water should go. Eventually it becomes impossible for water to penetrate and the tree will decline rapidly.
One way to get round this is a weekly soak in a bucket to make sure the soil and roots are properly wet. At some stage you should consider a repot where some roots are removed and fresh soil added. We do this every few years to make sure there is room for new roots to grow. Regular repotting keeps potted plants healthy and happy.

Good luck with your China Doll.
Great advice Shibui. Thank you! I am going to start trimming her as you have detailed, as I don't want her to grow taller and would like new growth on the bottom of her trunk. Time to take charge as you said. I've picked up so many tips on this post, so hopefully she will be back on track soon :fc:

Return to “Species Identification”