Need some help with ID

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Need some help with ID

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hey guys,

So I got this plant as tubestock from my mum ages ago so I’m thinking it’s west Australian native but, it could be from anywhere in Australia for what I know.

The plant apps (useless imo with Aussie natives) say weeping Baeckea and while some pictures match, a search result shows a very different plant. Any help would be awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mickey
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Need some help with ID

Post by shibui »

Not one that jumps out at me right away.
Baeckeas have had several name changes in the last 20 years. Some are now Sannantha (I think)
It could be one but also looks a bit like some Melaleucas or possibly leptospermum.

Some flowers would make ID much easier. Any sign of flower buds for this year?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Need some help with ID

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

shibui wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 8:48 pm Not one that jumps out at me right away.
Baeckeas have had several name changes in the last 20 years. Some are now Sannantha (I think)
It could be one but also looks a bit like some Melaleucas or possibly leptospermum.

Some flowers would make ID much easier. Any sign of flower buds for this year?
Not that I can see so far. It might be a little late to the show. I did look up west Australian Baeckea and I can’t find a picture for them all. They did say flowering is from November so hopefully something this year.

It’s a hard one. It was tubestock provided by the local shire for my mums farm which should mean it’s local but, I’ve never seen a plant like this anywhere in and around the Perth hills
Mickey

Return to “Species Identification”