[ID] Chaenomeles variegated leaf?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[ID] Chaenomeles variegated leaf?

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hello tree lovers!
I bought a little flowering quince clump from a local nursery last year (out off leaf at the time) Pic below. Label simply stated as chaenomeles.
20220808_115010.jpg

Since leafing out it has shown what looks to be variegated leaves? Has some pink in the new growing tips also.
Are variegated quince common, or do I now own a freak of nature in which I can propagate from & make millions & millions of dollars??? :tu:
20231030_093624.jpg
20231030_093646.jpg
20231030_093827.jpg
20231030_093925.jpg
20231030_093950.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [ID] Chaenomeles variegated leaf?

Post by Trimmy »

You are now a millionaire. Feel free to start spending. hehe, just kidding. I couldn't find it with a google or bing search so it might be a freak. Looks quite nice.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Trimmy wrote: October 30th, 2023, 9:44 am You are now a millionaire. Feel free to start spending. hehe, just kidding. I couldn't find it with a google or bing search so it might be a freak. Looks quite nice.
Yeah - I did a google search also but didn't find much either. Just deciding on a Lamborghini colour now...you want one?
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trimmy »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: October 30th, 2023, 9:57 am
Trimmy wrote: October 30th, 2023, 9:44 am You are now a millionaire. Feel free to start spending. hehe, just kidding. I couldn't find it with a google or bing search so it might be a freak. Looks quite nice.
Yeah - I did a google search also but didn't find much either. Just deciding on a Lamborghini colour now...you want one?
Lol, sure. White lambo please. Like the Wolf of Walls Street.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: October 30th, 2023, 9:38 am
Are variegated quince common, or do I now own a freak of nature in which I can propagate from & make millions & millions of dollars??? :tu:
:lol: Good luck with that. I have had variegated flowering quince for years. I have never bothered to propagate it until this year. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as yours. It looks similar. You may indeed have a new clone.
Mike
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

treeman wrote: October 30th, 2023, 10:19 am
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: October 30th, 2023, 9:38 am
:lol: Good luck with that. I have had variegated flowering quince for years. I have never bothered to propagate it until this year. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as yours. It looks similar. You may indeed have a new clone.
Oh cool! Thank you Treeman. :beer:

OK people start waving those cheque books at me...I got 2 luxury cars on back order & papa needs a new pair of shoes!
Smallseedsgardendesign
Favorite Species: Rhododendron
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Smallseedsgardendesign »

Hi there ! I’m located in southeast Michigan - in the states - and made an account with this forum just so I could also discuss with you about your quince with variegation. I was also just researching online to see if I could find any info - and this forum was the only thing!!

I do not practice bonsai. My quince came with my home that I purchased 5 years ago, so I’m not even 100% certain of the variety. It is thornless, does not produce fruit. And has a sort of bright hot pink coral colored flower.

I first noticed the variegation 3 years ago. It has stayed stable since, and increased. It only exists on 1 branch. The leaf tips are pink- but the leaves turn almost white , with pink. I uploaded a couple photos. It seems like the leaves begin more green- but then turn white - which I also thought was interesting.

Is your quince thornless as well?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hey Smallseeds,
Wow that is a nice flowering Chaenomeles you've adopted. The one I have purchased looks nowhere near as pretty as that! Mine threw some spot flowers here back in January. Very generic single blossom flower, softish pink in colour. Pic below.
20240119_173518.jpeg
Smallseedsgardendesign wrote: March 18th, 2024, 4:32 am It is thornless, does not produce fruit. It seems like the leaves begin more green- but then turn white - which I also thought was interesting.

Is your quince thornless as well?
Although small, mine does not seem to grow thorns. It did develop some ugly fruit where the few flowers were.
20240319_164659.jpg
Interesting enough it seems to have most pink / white / yellow colouring when the new leaves have just shot - returning to full darker green as they mature. (this being the opposite growth pattern to yours?)

Now that you've joined the Bonsai Community, we welcome you & hope you will enjoy the many benefits of this site. (ie. get yourself some bonsai! 8-) )

Return to “Species Identification”