[SOLVED] ID requested for native? multi trunked shrub

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

[SOLVED] ID requested for native? multi trunked shrub

Post by MattA »

Please help ID this one which is native to the best of my knowledge, just didnt know where to post it to.
It grows to a small tree, more often i see it around as a multi trunked shrub, it suckers madly when u cut the roots, grows well from root cuttings too.
Pic of fruit, leaves & bark.
It has a strange growth habit, it looks like pinnate foliage but is not. Having buds at the base of each leaf. The flower is insignificant.

Matt
fruit.JPG
bark.JPG
leaf.JPG
Identification solved

By ash

Glochidion ferdinandii
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jamie on May 27th, 2010, 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ID solved
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Re: ID requested for native? multi trunked shrub

Post by Ash »

G'Day Matt,
This is a Glochidion sp. in the family Euphorbiaceae. There are many species of Glochidion and yes there are native ones amongst them. They are pioneer trees in disturbed rainforest and grow quickly. When that little pumpkin shaped fruit splits externally between the segments what colour are the seeds? Reddish?
Best regards
Ash
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: ID requested for native? multi trunked shrub

Post by MattA »

Wow Ash thanks for the quick ID. Yes the seed are a reddish colour when ripe. I looked it up in one of my books & sure enough there it is Cheese tree:lol: Glochidion ferdinandii.

Yay another of my trees finally has a name. i have 3 of these, all dug from the bush. They power on, had to repot them after 6mths, the roots seem to grow more than the tops but time will tell. Am going to let one get root bound & see how that affects it. They grow well enough is no big loss, i can just go dig another.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Species Identification”