Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st May 2011. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011

Post by Steven »

Ladies and Gentlemen... Further to the success of the Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2010 - it's on again Image

As you would be aware, one of AusBonsai's aims is to increase awareness and use of Australian Native plants as bonsai. To assist this endeavour we hold an annual event with the goal being to encourage and promote the use of our native flora as bonsai.

This year there are 3 categories, 10 awards and prizes will be given as follows:-

Category 1 -
:arrow: Australian Native Bonsai Award
1st - Professional Grade set of Japanese made bonsai tools in a suede tool roll ($350.00 RRP) and certificate
2nd - Janet Selby limited edition AusBonsai.com bonsai pot and certificate
3rd - 42 Mice hand made bonsai pot and certificate

By popular demand, Category 1 will also have a Peoples Choice award. The winner will be chosen by you, the members of AusBonsai. The recipient of this award will receive a Tiny Tiny Display Table by jozaeh, an accent pot by MattA of 42 Mice and a certificate. Voting for this award will take place between 1st June and 13th June 2011 and instructions for voting will be posted towards the end of May.

Category 2 -
:arrow: New stock awards (Stock must be less than 12 months in training and isn't required to be in a bonsai pot)
1st - Custom made for your bonsai, a one of a kind Janet Selby bonsai pot and certificate
2nd - Janet Selby limited edition AusBonsai.com bonsai pot and certificate
3rd - 42 Mice hand made accent pot and certificate

Category 3 -
:arrow: Newcomer encouragement award (For bonsaists with less than 1 year experience)
1st - Janet Selby limited edition AusBonsai.com bonsai pot and certificate
2nd - 42 Mice hand made accent pot and certificate
3rd - Certificate

Category 1 winners will feature in the AusBonsai.com header bar at the top of the forum over the coming year and will be showcased in an Australian Plants as Bonsai Study Group newsletter.

Last year's winner of category's 1 and 2, Pup will be one of the Judges therefore making him ineligible to enter. Joining Pup will be Lindsay Farr and Tony Bebb :clap:

Eligibility and requirements:
• The bonsai must be an Australian native
• The bonsai must be part of the submitting artists personal collection
• Trees entered last year are eligible for entry again however a new and updated picture must be submitted

How to submit your material:
• You may submit as many times as you like by posting a new topic in the special AusBonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011 forum
• For ease of viewing and judging, please use a PREFIX to specify the CATEGORY you are entering. Examples:
[Category 1] Casuarina cunninghamiana
[Category 2] Callistemon sp.- 11 months training
[Category 3] Melaleuca linariifolia
• Photographs must be of good quality, be a minimum of 500 x 500 pixels and in full colour
• Photographs are to be uploaded to AusBonsai and not linked from other sites
• A brief history of the bonsai should be submitted (max 450 words)
• Botanical and/or common name of tree, years of training, size (height and width), name of artist (may be your AusBonsai screen name) and state or territory of artist must be included

Review and Judging:
• Submissions will initially be reviewed by the Moderators of AusBonsai for compliance with the requirements
• Judging will be via an average point score and will be conducted by Lindsay Farr, Tony Bebb and Pup.
• Photography is not being judged however the best possible picture/s should be submitted. Review our section on photographing bonsai for tips. Last year there were several stunning trees submitted that did not score as well as they should have due to poor presentation.
• Point scoring will be based on the following criteria: -
1. Horticulture - 10%
2. Aesthetics - 30%
3. Design, image and presentation - 60%
Although you may not agree with the judge’s decision, the process will be fair, structured and the judges varied. Lindsay Farr from Victoria, Tony Bebb from Queensland and Pup from Western Australia. 3 experienced and accomplished artists with 3 different subjective opinions. As in all competitions, the judge’s decision is final and should be treated with respect.

A brief note on judging from one of last years Judges, Roger Hnatiuk.
Judging any form of art will always be a contentious issue and please keep in mind that trees, particularly Aussie natives, don't grow according to rigid rules. We are not saying that your tree must be styled like a native found in the bush. Judging is about looking at the composition as a whole and asking oneself if it is pleasing to look at. Then, why is it so (either pleasing or not pleasing). Then one can look to see whether there are apparent technical 'faults' and whether these make any difference to the enjoyment of the composition as a whole. If we used a strict format for judging we would always end up with the same winner and that is not art!
Final date for submitting entries will be midnight on 31st May 2011. Results will be published on AusBonsai.com by 14th June 2011.

I'd be very grateful if you could assist by promoting the Australian Native Bonsai Awards to your Clubs, Schools, bonsai friends or on Facebook etc.
If you are able to arrange for a banner to be placed on any bonsai website, please right click the file below and save it to your computer. You can then forward it to webmasters and request them to place it on their respective sites with a link back to this topic.
AB-ANBA2011-Banner.jpg
Alternatively, the following file is an A4 sized posters that can be printed and placed on noticeboards or downloaded and emailed to friends.
native bonsai award poster2011.pdf
Have fun, best of luck and thank you for considering a native for your next bonsai ;)

Regards,
Steven

THE FINE PRINT:
Contest void where prohibited by law.
By submitting your entry, you agree to grant AusBonsai.com and the Australian Plants as Bonsai Study Group permission to publish and display your submitted picture/s and text.
Winners will be notified via publication in this forum on or before 7th April 2011.
Prizes will be posted worldwide upon receipt of postal address (by PM to Steven - no addresses will be made public)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 18th, 2011, 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Typo
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011

Post by Bretts »

Gets better every year :aussie: I am impressed with the choice of judges it should be interesting :tu:

Are we a little late this year? Not complaining, just curious as I wonder how much I can get my Natives ready to show from now till then? Not that knowing earlier would have helped me :lol: :oops:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Looking forward to some fantastic Native Bonsai from far and wide . :aussie: .Cheers Alpineart
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

This is exciting. I will scour around and see if i can enter something. :tu: Now, i need to work out a strategy to suck up to the ..soorry, i meant, get on the judges good side. :whistle:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

bodhidharma wrote:This is exciting. I will scour around and see if i can enter something. :tu: Now, i need to work out a strategy to suck up to the ..soorry, i meant, get on the judges good side. :whistle:

Pots are always welcome over here :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistle: :whistle: :hooray: :clap: :P :worship: :D :tu: :palm: :| :| :|
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Post by Tony Bebb »

Pup wrote:
bodhidharma wrote:This is exciting. I will scour around and see if i can enter something. :tu: Now, i need to work out a strategy to suck up to the ..soorry, i meant, get on the judges good side. :whistle:

Pots are always welcome over here :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistle: :whistle: :hooray: :clap: :P :worship: :D :tu: :palm: :| :| :|

I will be in Perth and I like beer ;) :tu:
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

Post by Handy Mick »

Ok Pup, I think there is a old penjing pot lying around some where, probably in the long grass. i know you like all the little toys. :lol:

Tony, was that Tooheys red? :palm:

Mick
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Tony I like Kilkenny and Chivers regal, and have both here at the moment so call in we can share :beer: :beer:

See ya when ya get here :tu2:
Last edited by Pup on March 11th, 2011, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Hey Steven, good to see you're back in action :tu: hope all is well ... wow some great prizes up for grabs! competition should be fierce :mrgreen: Great excuse to get out the camera and brush on some photography skills, only got a few natives though :palm: , and certainly not to the lofty standards set by Pup (among others) :worship: I'll give it a bash though! excited just to see what others come up with...

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

:aussie: :aussie: :aussie:

Steven kudos to you for getting this off the ground again this year... heres hoping for a great showing of trees across the country now Pup is collared :lol:

I will have to see if I have anything up to the standard presented last year... I would love to win the Janet Selby custom made pot for cat 2.... I saw her pots on aust day & love her work...

Good luck to everyone & look forward to seeing all our great natives on display.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Leevers
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Leevers »

Those awards look fantastic!

Best of luck to all who enter :)
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

:gday: nice to see some one is getting early, so that we all have time to look at and assess the trees. As I am not in this year :crybye: :crybye: not that that should be of concern as last year there were some superb trees entered.

So please start them coming in, as I would like to look at them, I will be off line for about two weeks in April. I am sure Lindsay and Tony would also like to see what we have to offer them, for judgement.
Good luck to all who enter. Please read the guidelines that Steven and Jeff have put in place, so there is no misunderstanding, of the rules.

Cheers :hooray: Pup

deepeetee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aust. Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Central Coast, NSW

Post by deepeetee »

Hi Steven and Jeff,

Just a small clarification to the rules, if a newbie like myself were to enter a specimen into the newbie awards, does the tree need to be a in a bonsai pot?
Or can it still be in a training pot?

Looking forward to seeing some of the category 1 entrants!

Thanks

Dave
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Wowee! For clarification: Category 2- 'in training for less than twelve months'

1. Does this mean a plant that was not trained as bonsai more than 12 months ago but can be any age (eg. yamadori or urbanadori)?
Or
2. Does this mean a plant that was propagated less than 12 months ago?

best regards
Ash
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

NEVER before trained as a Bonsai. Any training whatsoever.

Pup

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011”