[Category 1]Eucalyptus nicholii

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st May 2011. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

[Category 1]Eucalyptus nicholii

Post by PeterH »

Eucalyptus nicholii

Narrow- leaved Black peppermint gum

100 cm tall
95 cm wide

Pat Kennedy Pot

16 years in training

By : PeterH

A.C.T

Found at south Canberra Dump in the Revolve section in the summer of 1995. It was in very little soil and full of disease. ( mealy bug and sooty mildew ).
Over the following months I removed the pests, re-potted, cut back and trained a new leader.
It was kept as a as an experiment, I was unsure how a Eucalypt would react to Bonsai techniques.
In 1999 I potted it into a Bonsai pot and continued shaping into a gum tree style. After the 2001 show I carved the lower and mid sections of the tree and then re-potted. Since that repot I have repotted it four times into an Australian made Pots by “Pat Kennedy”.
Over the years I have had a battle with die back and have lost some of the original branches. Generally when this happens the tree goes through a redesign utilizing old branches and new shoots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011”