[Category 2] Leptospermum obovatum Z - 7 months training

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st May 2011. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

[Category 2] Leptospermum obovatum Z - 7 months training

Post by Jan »

Botanical Name: Leptospermum obovatum
Common Name: Ti-tree
Training: 7 months
Size: Height (from soil line) 25cm, Width 20cm, Depth 15cm.
Artist: Jan
State: NSW
2011-03-23_Leptospermum_obovatum_Z_aw.jpg
2011-03-23_Leptospermum_obovatum_Z_bw.jpg
2011-03-23_Leptospermum_obovatum_Z_cw.jpg
2011-03-23_Leptospermum_obovatum_Z_dw.jpg
Leptospermum obovatum Z– collected on August 19, 2010. The plant was growing in sandy soil in a pocket amongst river rocks; a smaller round boulder was tipped over to free its root system then restored to its original position.

This plant was soaked in Seasol solution overnight then planted in a round brown plastic pot. It was planted into a seed-raising mix/sharp sand/long stranded moss mix with a sand drainage layer and mulched with long stranded moss. It was watered in with Seasol solution. The plant was lifted with moderately good fine root retention when collected.

The plant has a thick trunk with a prominent shari, rising in a taper, bending 160 degrees almost back on itself, then bending 120 degrees in the opposite direction (making a zig zag rise from the soil) to a long thin top. The top has been left on for the moment in the hope that it will shoot from further down the trunk in spring/summer 2010. The plant has aged papery bark on trunk and branches and outstanding deadwood/character.

2010-12-16 This plant was trimmed to encourage ramification again today. This has been done regularly whenever the plant becomes “leggy”.

2011-02-18 Plant was trimmed back to encourage branch ramification and guy wired into new position.

2011-03-23 The plant in its plastic training pot was fitted inside a bonsai pot for better presentation without disturbance to the developing root system. Plant was photographed for the AusBonsai Native Competition, Category 2 – Stock under 12 months old, and my records.

This Ti-tree would fit well into a pot of similar width to the bonsai pot it is photographed in here but I will be looking for a pot only one third to one half of the depth of this one, in earthy tones and texture to suit the rough textured papery bark of the ti-tree.

While developing a stronger set of roots the plant has been supported by a quartz stone; eventually I would be looking to change the planting angle so the lower section is at about a 30 degree angle to the soil surface, strengthening the zigzag line of the trunk. More movement will be introduced to the upper branch/trunk over time (these ti-trees are quite prone to breakage if bent too severely, too quickly). As shoots develop on the upper portion of the trunk I will select the line that I find most suitable, bearing in mind the planned trunk angle change, and trim the remainder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011”