[Category 1] Banksia marginata

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st May 2011. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

Will_IslandBonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

[Category 1] Banksia marginata

Post by Will_IslandBonsai »

DSC_0870_Banksia marginata 'Coles Bay Compact'_Age 2001.JPG
This Banksia marginata was grown from a number of cuttings taken from a roadside bush on the east coast of Tasmania in 2001. It was grown in a native nursery, amongst others, and put to one side about 5 years ago, when its bonsai potential was noticed. In 2009, I "found it" again in its 200mm nursey pot, and immediately was so taken by its character, that I whipped it into the Mirkwood pot as pictured.

The plant is about 60 cm high, and for a Banksia marginata, has both very small leaves and flowers. Not really visible in the photo is a huge curve in the trunk (it goes back and then comes forward at the top). I am constantly astounded, when I view this plant, at the impression of age it portrays, courtesy mainly of the character of the trunk and the patches of lichen it supports.

The design objective is for it to look Australian. I hope you enjoy it.

Will Fletcher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011”