chinese elm on rock

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: chinese elm on rock

Post by bodhidharma »

As i said 8 years so far and i am just about to bury it to the top of the rock for another couple of years. My plan is to get the trunk to absorb and grow over the rock and become indistinguishable from each other. The problem i am encountering is that the tree itself matures much faster than the root system and to find the balance is difficult :( I have to keep wounding the bark to get it to grow over the rock. I reckon another 10 years should do it :D That will make the tree over thirty years old. I think that is pretty normal for this style. My nickname for it is ......Tree humping rock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on April 21st, 2010, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

thanks bodhi!

im surprised that the canopy isnt more developed? i guess you have been concentrating on the roots and rock first to get them right. do the chinese elms get a good length gowing season down there? up here they are semi deciduous, sometimes going dormant, sometimes not. the elm do get a rest up here every now and then :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Yes, i have had to cut back branches hard all the time and sometimes completely off. I will probably have to do this a few more times yet as the tree changes and thickens over the rock. I thought it would be easy but now i do admire a good specimen of root over rock and i now know they are one of the most difficult to design
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

hi guys just a little update, i virted a new plan for this one i was looking at the tree a while ago and thought it would be boring in the style i first thought, so heres the new plan ;)
elm on rock virt.jpg
unfortunaly the rock isnt that colour, but i couldnt get a pic of the rock its on as it is completly buried :D

jamie :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

hi guys,

just a little update on this elm, i posted a couple of pics in Taffy's collected rocks thread. since april this year I have been training this tree, it is still in its collander, I took it out as I felt it was staying a little too damp with the organic mix i had it in.

as you can see the roots are really shaping to the rock nicely, I reckon come mid to late summer this one is really going to be flying, since taking these pics the other week it is covered in new swelling buds :D plenty of option, plenty of growth to come, I intend on leaving a sacrfice as low as I possibly can get one to reall push the roots along and get them to thicken and swell against the rock. I have reapeated the same procedure with the grafting tape to hold the roots in place where i want them, there is plenty of gaps where the fibrous roots can come out :D
chinese elm ROR 1.jpg
chinese elm ROR 4.jpg
chinese elm ROR 6.jpg
I have also removed the wire of the tree for a little bit it was looking messy and i didnt like it :oops: :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
archie1979
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Elms & Hoping to get into Natives
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: none yet

Post by archie1979 »

That is coming along pretty well Jamie, I had a nice little cutting from my larger elm I was going to use for a root over rock. I ended up trying something completely different with it, now I am kicking myself it had great spread I buried it about 2 years ago with a upturned pot underneath it, worked a treat and I chopped em all off :evil: damn it

Return to “Shohin”