Shohin Silver Birch

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Shohin Silver Birch

Post by Sno »

This tree came up as a weed in a pot that was growing a euc in it about 4 years ago . Well the eucalyptus died due to lack of expierance . The birch grew quite happily as a weed with out any care for a year and then one day when I was cleaning up my nursery area I tossed it into the compost . Later in the day I noticed it lying there barerooted on top of the compost and I thought the roots looked a bit interesting so I potted it up . It's sort of been hanging around in the garden for a few years not really been looked after . The 'root' part is just starting to turn white it will be interesting to see how that develops and it has a 'ring ' of latent buds where the trunk starts . I have grown quite fond of it (kinda ugly ,tenacious and interesting ) So today I put it into a new pot just for fun . Any way here is some photos (trying to practice my photo skills ).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Shohin Silver Birch

Post by Boics »

Cool sno!

I like it a lot and your pics are great!

I have both a standard and silver Birch. Unfortunately I've mixed them up and seeing as neither have gone white I don't know which is which!

They grow very fast and apparently can lose branches but I have read that removing new growth/branches from the base of branches can assist.
Have you had any issues with this?

How do the leaves look?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

That's a great pot choice. it's the perfect pot for where it is now :imo:

It's a interesting tree that shows an interesting life. It has a lot of potential.

My habit is to rub off any budding in unwanted areas before they take away energy from other areas. But there could be an opportunity to pick a sacrifice branch out of the area for some more development beloww the ring.
Patience is often a surprise.
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

It's one of those things that if you didn't know the story, you wouldn't appreciate it as much. I for one think it looks quite gnarly, and this adds to it's charm!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Yet another species I tried a long time ago only to discover that they were a waste of time. I love the idea of silver birch bonsai however they have other ideas! :lol: Expect branches to die just as they stat to look good. :palm:
Mike
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

I think this is a really good article about the contentious Birch Bonsai...

http://www.bonsaibasho.com/micromarket/ ... brary/a189
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
adge0001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper & JBP
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula Bonsai Society

Post by adge0001 »

Geez it's got a serious amount of buds on it. It looks like it's about to go nuts. You're going to have a few choices to ponder soon. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
-Carl Sagan
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Boics . I hope you managed to go for a ride this season , the dumps in late June made it a great season .
I had an issue with die back in the first couple of years when I first potted it up ,I used to just hack it back whenever . Then I read somewhere to only prune birch when they are actively growing and since I started doing that I haven't had any problems ,having said that this one is only a baby so I don't know if that will work as it gets older . I defoliated it last year in early summer and the leaves were smaller for a while . I pruned it quite regularly last year too and every time I did that I took off the larger leaves . It' stays outside unprotected all year so the roots would freeze on and off all winter (sometimes it freezes solid and I could use it as a hammer :o ) that hasn't been a problem , hopefully that won't change . Thanks for the link a great read .
G'day Time8 the universe I actually got this pot for another tree (a red flowering quince ) which I decided wasn't ready yet . The pot I had in mind for the birch I noticed has a fine crack in it so I changed plans mid repot . This pot suits it a lot better . The quince will have to find new shoes . I'm going to leave the buds at the moment just because I find it interesting to see what they will do and it sort of adds to its character .
Adage , those buds have sat there since I can remember at least a couple of years . The landscape trees I have seen tend to only have one leader unless they have been through stress ie drought , fire etc .
Phoenix thanks mate .
Treeman , this tree is never going to look like your typical birch so if I it loses a branch here or there it's no big deal , just gives it more character and adds to the fun of growing it .
Cheers Sno
Last edited by Sno on September 12th, 2014, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Interesting tree and history; well done.

Re the pot with the fine crack, I would suggest that you try glues meant for glider and remote control model plane building and available from shops catering to same. I've bought mine in Canberra. Very runny, will wick into hairline cracks, glue and seal them. I have tested it on wood and ceramics and couldn't break the glued area, the test pieces gave way elsewhere. Model plane crew smash them up, glue to repair and fly almost straight away. The model plane glues are good stuff.

Jan.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

G'day Sno.

I did go for only one day this season...
What a day it was though! I've spent near on a hundred days at Buller over my years and I'd say it was right up there if not the best day I've ever had.

It was widely regarded as the best day of the season.
20-30cm of fresh overnight and super super cold. Epic.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Thanks for the info Jan I will get some glue next time I'm in Canberra . I think I will use the pot for something that requires winter protection . As someone who has lived on the Monaro I know you are familiar with how cold it can get up here . I would always be nervous it would break when it freezes .
Took this photo a couple of days ago .the landscape trees in the garden are yet to break bud .
image.jpg
Cheers Sno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

A bit of an update . It's starting to fill out and the buds keep coming . This tree fascinates me ,I'm quite happy to let it do its own thing just trim it now and then .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Terrific little Tree Craig ,has filled out well and those branches have a real energetic look about them. Very captivating . Well done. Cheers John.

Return to “Shohin”