Little Juniper

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that flowers
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Little Juniper

Post by PeachSlices »

Bought this tree not long ago decided to impatiently style it. for now its leading towards literati but im keep some options open. the first branch is future jin so for now you may just have to imagine what that'll look like. the trunk has awesome movement. thank you original owner you did great.

cannot wait to see how this tree progresses.

All advice accepted

Simon
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Little Juniper

Post by Matthew »

I would remove that first left branch to accentuate that movement. Compress the apex more with some movement as the top looks quite straight and youll have a nice tree.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree. nice tree. Nice trunk movement and good balance.
Doesn't really matter whether it ends up as literati or with a little more foliage. Will still be a really nice small juniper.
The future jin should look good if you can wait long enough for that low branch to thicken a bit.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Post by PeachSlices »

Matthew wrote: September 11th, 2019, 8:24 pm I would remove that first left branch to accentuate that movement. Compress the apex more with some movement as the top looks quite straight and youll have a nice tree.
growing the jin to be thicker. will look at the apex tomorrow

Simon
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

shibui wrote: September 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm I agree. nice tree. Nice trunk movement and good balance.
Doesn't really matter whether it ends up as literati or with a little more foliage. Will still be a really nice small juniper.
The future jin should look good if you can wait long enough for that low branch to thicken a bit.
will let that branch get abit of meat on it should be a nice little jin and shari potential maybe in a year or 2

simon
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Your patience is commendable. I think the jin will look good there.
I also have a number of shimpaku with sacrifice branches both to grow jin and increase trunk size. As I assume you have realised the branch needs to be quite a bit thicker when it is alive to allow for the bark thickness. I have jinned some nice looking branches before only to find I ended up with thin, whispy looking jin that don't last long.
The frustration is that shimpaku branches can take some years to thicken enough to make wood thick enough for realistic jin. Some of my jin sacrifive branches have been growing for 3 years now and several times I've had to hold back from making the cuts too early.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Love the movement in that trunk. Often these trees don’t have such gnarly movement and then we try to force it with wire but it’s too late ... not in this case. Thanks for posting - a ripper tree to play around with. :tu2:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

shibui wrote: September 13th, 2019, 6:49 am Your patience is commendable. I think the jin will look good there.
I also have a number of shimpaku with sacrifice branches both to grow jin and increase trunk size. As I assume you have realised the branch needs to be quite a bit thicker when it is alive to allow for the bark thickness. I have jinned some nice looking branches before only to find I ended up with thin, whispy looking jin that don't last long.
The frustration is that shimpaku branches can take some years to thicken enough to make wood thick enough for realistic jin. Some of my jin sacrifive branches have been growing for 3 years now and several times I've had to hold back from making the cuts too early.
i spend quite abit of time at club meetings convincing people not to cut my jin off. it would look good with it gone but i think it would look way better one day. i'll blend it into the design somehow much secretly its a jin. cheers for the info. maybe 5 years

simon
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

MJL wrote: September 13th, 2019, 7:49 am Love the movement in that trunk. Often these trees don’t have such gnarly movement and then we try to force it with wire but it’s too late ... not in this case. Thanks for posting - a ripper tree to play around with. :tu2:
Someone else started the tree i cant take all the credit. i was suprised when i got it. i love it.

simon

Return to “Shohin”