Shohin Japanese Black Pine.

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Shohin Japanese Black Pine.

Post by PeterW »

This tree was given to me in July this year. I have always wanted a small Pine and i have had lots of difficulty finding one. This one has had its first candle work and needles plucked today. I done another tree about 3 weeks ago (to see what to expect from this one) and it has new buds all over it, so i decided to this one. The leader you see in the pictures will be removed in Winter next year and some branch selections will also take place. Once i get buds appearing it will be quite an easy process to select the keepers and cut the others. The roots need a lot of work also, i have it growing in 100% akadama and are hoping for a nice fiberous root system to enable me to do some severe cutting back in Winter. The tree is never going to be a great tree because it has some pretty serious past issues, such as whirls have left some nasty swelling and being pot bound has created a bad surface root structure. I hope to at least improve the tree and with what i will learn from this tree and a few others that i am growing, be able to grow a nice Japanese Black Pine in the future. The tree as it stands now is 30cm tall but i will get it down to just under 20cm when finished.
Peter
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Shohin Japanese Black Pine.

Post by anttal63 »

good work peter well done. dont underestimate it just keep plugging at it. :D
Regards Antonio:
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi,

I wish it was mine :)

:)
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Post by Ash Barns »

G'day Peter Love this tree since first I clapped eyes on it a couple of months back in Pine Class. The thing that amazes me is it is growing so well in Queensland. How does that work?

Ash 8-)
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Ash Barns wrote:The thing that amazes me is it is growing so well in Queensland. How does that work?

Ash 8-)
If i told ya Ash, i'd have ta kill ya!.....hahaha
No secret mate, just the three magic ingredients. Healthy tree is a happy tree and a happy tree is a vigorous grower!
I would be interested to hear your thoughts as to why they may not grow so well in Queensland though. Is it a humidity thing maybe?
Peter
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Post by Ash Barns »

Peter it may the precept that you don't have the seasons like we do in the south. I am thinking dormancy etc and probably wrongly identifying Queensland like Florida in the US. However I am delighted that you are able to grow JBP successfully up north. Also that you do it so well.

Ash :)
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Ash Barns wrote:Peter it may the precept that you don't have the seasons like we do in the south. I am thinking dormancy etc and probably wrongly identifying Queensland like Florida in the US. However I am delighted that you are able to grow JBP successfully up north. Also that you do it so well.

Ash :)
They certainly dont "stop" growing up here, as in dormancy, it must have some bearing on how they react, i know someone who has grown them up here for about 25 years. I wish we would get a good cold winter every year. For the maples as well as the Pines!
Peter.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

the black pine in japan is a lower ground tree. quite common around thier coast's. not as dependant on dormancy just happy to slow down. :D
Regards Antonio:
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Great little tree Peter - you realy are working out the issues and I think it is going to be one hell of a keeper.

Jon
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Lots of buds appearing in nice and close to the trunk.
Peter
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

beautiful pete !!! :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Shohin”