AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012

Create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 14 months between 1st August 2011 and 31st October 2012. Entry posts must be made by 31st August 2011.
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

Re: AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011

Post by Ryan1979b »

HEHEHE...I ts just that I Leave for holidays in 1 week for 6 weeks :tu: So this weekend is really my only chance.

I do have a Fig Cutting that I think I will enter but I would also like a Nursury stock entry too. See how I go anyway.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

I don't think anyone have mentioned so far, but are we are encouraged to update progression throughout the period.?
I would imagine so as, progression shots most definitely add to the viewing experience.

If that would be the case then I would imagine prior to the finishing date, we would then present a set of images declaring it the finished tree.?

Or do we do just show un-worked now, then finished tree with no progression in between.

:lost:

Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
matt_95
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matt_95 »

One of the requirements was updates at least every 3 months from memory.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Well that will teach me for skim reading... :roll: :oops:

Updates AWAY!!!!!! :) :twisted:
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Mitchell wrote:I don't think anyone have mentioned so far, but are we are encouraged to update progression throughout the period.?
I would imagine so as, progression shots most definitely add to the viewing experience.

If that would be the case then I would imagine prior to the finishing date, we would then present a set of images declaring it the finished tree.?

Or do we do just show un-worked now, then finished tree with no progression in between.

:lost:

Yes mitchell
Minimum of 3 month updates but preferrabley more frequent than that

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Steven wrote:• Work can be done between 1st September 2011 and 31st October 2012.
Gday Mr Steven & Co!

With all due respect, what is to prevent entrants from working on their chosen/submitted stock before the "start date" of September 1? I might like to start working my entry before the start of September because its buds are swelling now, and I believe this is the best time of year for me to repot.

I realize that starting work now would afford me (and others) a 2 week advantage over last minute entrants, but 2 weeks over 14 months is nothing really.

Just curious, and I promise to abide by your ruling either way. ;)

Thanks.

FlyBri.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Steven wrote:G'day,

For the record, any tree shohin size and under will be accepted. Shohin size being maximum 250mm (10 inches) tall from rim of pot to top of tree.

As stated in the rules under TIME-FRAME AND COMMITMENTS, Work can only be done on your submissions between 1st September 2011 and 31st October 2012. To ensure fairness for all, we may request proof that trees have not yet been worked on towards the end of August. You have been warned ;)

Due to his past contributions to our forum, I have inducted Andrew Legg of Cape Town as a temporary Aussie for the duration of the competition so he can participate. However due to such different growing conditions, his submissions will not be eligible for winning.

Regards,
Steven
Last edited by Craig on August 14th, 2011, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FlyBri »

Thanks Craig!

Must have been the only post in the thread that I didn't read when searching for that answer. :shock:

I guess my entry will remain intact for the next couple of weeks then, [EDIT] even though it will afford me a 2 day DISadvantage - the 1st is a Wednesday, and I only get the chance to work my trees on weekends :whistle: [/EDIT]... :|

Fly.
Last edited by FlyBri on August 14th, 2011, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Post by Ash Barns »

FlyBri wrote:Thanks Craig!

Must have been the only post in the thread that I didn't read when searching for that answer. :shock:

I guess my entry will remain intact for the next couple of weeks then, [EDIT] even though it will afford me a 2 day DISadvantage - the 1st is a Wednesday, and I only get the chance to work my trees on weekends :whistle: [/EDIT]... :|

Fly.
Oh stop behaving like a sook. LOL You will be fine, just take big breaths and think good thoughts. Anyway two days is but a mere bleep in this bonsai caper. Your choice of Ulmus twin trunks are still here for you when you want them.

Ash
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FlyBri »

Ash Barns wrote:Oh stop behaving like a sook. LOL You will be fine, just take big breaths and think good thoughts. Anyway two days is but a mere bleep in this bonsai caper.
Right you are, Mr Barns! I was trying to make a gag here - I hope it didn't come across as anything other than tongue-in-cheek.

Thanks!

Fly.
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

FlyBri wrote:
Steven wrote:• Work can be done between 1st September 2011 and 31st October 2012.
Gday Mr Steven & Co!

With all due respect, what is to prevent entrants from working on their chosen/submitted stock before the "start date" of September 1? I might like to start working my entry before the start of September because its buds are swelling now, and I believe this is the best time of year for me to repot.

I realize that starting work now would afford me (and others) a 2 week advantage over last minute entrants, but 2 weeks over 14 months is nothing really.

Just curious, and I promise to abide by your ruling either way. ;)

Thanks.

FlyBri.

Hi All, I was just hoping to get a bit of clafification on this as well. As I have two entries already but on the 25th August I am flying out to Europe for 6 weeks. The issue is I would like to get my initial styling/trimming/wiring done before I leave as I would like as much advanced growth time during the Spring. Would this be an issue at all otherwise I loose 6 weeks of Style growth :palm:

Cheers All

Ryan
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Ryan,
What date were you planning on doing the initial styling on your entries? We may be able to make an allowance for your circumstances.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

HI Steve,

I fly out of Sydney on the 25th August and will be down there the 24th before the flight.I was hoping I could get something done Sunday Night the 21st leaving me the Monday and Tuesday to get ready for the trip after work. It would only be Prunning and Wiring etc.

If rules are rules that's fine with me I don't want to make an unfair advanyage for the other :)
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Hi Ryan,

After careful consideration we accept your request to start work early on your entries provided you;-

:arrow: Post a picture of your entries prior to any work being done and include a clear copy of the front page of your daily newspaper. The newspaper must be dated no earlier than 21st April 2011.
:arrow: Post pictures of the work done prior to departing on 25th August.
:arrow: Your final submissions must also be made 9 days early on 23rd October 2012.

Please note: This is a one off variation from the rules due to extraordinary circumstances and any future requests will be considered on a case by case basis.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

O.K. Steven, i had read this through thoroughly and cannot get clarification if i am allowed to do a Shohin group setting? Must it be a single tree or can a group setting be used :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by bodhidharma on August 20th, 2011, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"

Return to “AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011-2012”