[Andrew Legg] Ulmus parvifolia Suberosa

Create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 14 months between 1st August 2011 and 31st October 2012. Entry posts must be made by 31st August 2011.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Re: [Andrew Legg] Ulmus parvifolia Suberosa

Post by Andrew Legg »

Latest update:
IMG_5757_resize.jpg
I have done a bit of work on it today and will take a new photo tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Well well, time flies, and so has this tree. Here is the latest as of today:
IMG_5856_resize.jpg
It has filled out nicely, so now is the time for some branch selection and major trimming back if ther is to be any hope for ramification in time for the deadline....

So, not much else to report other than this is what it looks like now, post trim. It definately needs root work, and I think I may do that sooner rather than later. I may even slip pot it at a better angle, but I'll give that some thought first!
IMG_5860_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew Legg on January 8th, 2012, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Another update, and this little piggy is growing strongly. It is definately going to need root grafting and I am toying with the idea of putting it in a heated greenhouse over winter to keep it going.
IMG00592-20120214-1950.jpg
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Uhm . . . . 1 x sorry looking winter elm! :crybye:

I think I've missed the three monthly forum posts, but I was never in it for the money anyway :whistle:

Some serious root work needs to happen in a month or two!

Cheers,

Andrew
IMG-20120706-00164.jpg
MWid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Oyama

Post by MWid »

Hey Andrew how is the elm doing? I was wondering where you got the elm from, because they hard to come by in Cape Town, and Im really interested in growing some, evem if it has to be from seed :whistle:.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

MWid wrote:Hey Andrew how is the elm doing? I was wondering where you got the elm from, because they hard to come by in Cape Town, and Im really interested in growing some, even if it has to be from seed :whistle:.
The tree is looking great actually. I cut it back hard yesterday, and was trying to decide whether I should pot it for the competition or not! :lost: It should probably have some root work done on it, and I'm trying to figure out whether there's still time left or whether I've left it too late! Perhaps I'll pot it anyway and do the root work next year.

These trees are available in the hundreds are Rudi's nursery (R75ea) - Olive Grove, and Steven also has a lot of them, particularly bigger ones at Stone Lantern ranging from probably about the same up to R7-800ea for a bigger trunk. Gail and Lionel will have then as well, but probably in smaller numbers. Don't bother with a standard commercial nursery, as there you are indeed going to waste time looking for them. These propagate very well from root cuttings and normal cuttings, so within a season or two you could have hundreds of your own if you are so inclined! :cool:

Last but not least, I'm gonna have to ask you who the heck you are, cause I can't figure it out from MWid! :lost:

Cheers,

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew Legg on September 18th, 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MWid »

Thank you for your quick reply. Its Mark Widegger, I did the pheonix graft demo with paul at the arbour bonsai show over the weekend if that helps. I guess I will have to make a trip ip to rudy's some time then, tnx. Do you by any chance know where to find maples or maple seeds even. Tnx a lot.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

MWid wrote:Thank you for your quick reply. Its Mark Widegger, I did the pheonix graft demo with paul at the arbour bonsai show over the weekend if that helps. I guess I will have to make a trip ip to rudy's some time then, tnx. Do you by any chance know where to find maples or maple seeds even. Tnx a lot.
Ahh - ok. Uhm Maples - which type - Japanese or Trident? I have a lot of trident seedlings coming up now - about 20 have sprouted and you are welcome to dief a few. Otherwise I can only suggest again the bonsai nurseries around town. Also, keep a close look out in autumn for tridents on the pavements. That's how I got my seeds. Call me on 83 628 8163, and we can make a plan for you to come and grab some seedlings. Otherwise, Bishopsford were selling a bunch of small trident maples at about R20ea. That was a while back though.

Cheers
MWid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MWid »

Any seedlings would be great, I'm still at the stage of trying to get as much stock as possible to work with, and its best to start now on seedlings because its almost impossible to come across mature stock, well that's what I've noticed. I brought some seeds recently when I was in Frankfurt, and I'm trying to grow them at the moment, still have to see how things end out, because its my first time trying to grow seeds, and these aren't the easiest to start off with. I brought some pinus densiflora, sequoia gigantium and acer palmatum atropurem (bloodgood).
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

MWid wrote:Any seedlings would be great, I'm still at the stage of trying to get as much stock as possible to work with, and its best to start now on seedlings because its almost impossible to come across mature stock, well that's what I've noticed. I brought some seeds recently when I was in Frankfurt, and I'm trying to grow them at the moment, still have to see how things end out, because its my first time trying to grow seeds, and these aren't the easiest to start off with. I brought some pinus densiflora, sequoia gigantium and acer palmatum atropurem (bloodgood).
If you are trying to grow seeds you need to check this link:

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8531 ... from-seeds

Cheers

Andrew
MWid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MWid »

Tnx for your help, i think i need to invest in a propagation box with neon lights and all :reading:
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

MWid wrote:Tnx for your help, i think i need to invest in a propagation box with neon lights and all :reading:
Forget neon lights. Let's chat when you come to my place.

Here's an update on the tree. I have potted it into a pot just so that it looks nice for the competition. It is probably a bit premature, but what the heck right! I'll still have to sort out the roots on the left hand side of the tree and work on the branching. I think in a few years this could be a really cool little tree. :fc:
IMG_6418.JPG
Cheers,

Andrew
MWid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MWid »

Cool we can chat then, the tree is looking absolutely amazing, its made a really fast progression, well done on ya.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

MWid wrote:Cool we can chat then, the tree is looking absolutely amazing, its made a really fast progression, well done on ya.
Thanks mate. It has some way to go still! I need to get the roots sorted, thicken up that bottom left branch and get sub-layers into the foliage pads to make them feel less defined. That's the plan anyway! :tu:
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Not much development from the last photo, but a better photo. So, here's my tree. It has come a long way, and other than the bottom left branch needing to see a lot of growth and thickening up, I think it is starting to look quite good. Loads of time and space for further improvements.
IMG_6533.JPG
It's been fun, but now as agreed up front :tu2: , I submit my final photo and formally withdraw from the competition. Good luck to all the remaining competitors! :cool:

Cheers,

Andrew

Return to “AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011-2012”