[Sno] Leptospermum 'Riot'

Create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 14 months between 1st August 2011 and 31st October 2012. Entry posts must be made by 31st August 2011.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Species Leptospermum 'Riot'
Height 600mm from top of pot
Origin Nursery
Price $10.00
lepto shohin.jpg
lepto shohin2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on October 31st, 2012, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: (Sno) Leptospermum 'Riot'

Post by Sno »

Just an update, actually did this a month ago and only just finally got around to posting it[
IMG_7584.jpg [attachment=3]IMG_7586.jpg
IMG_7588.jpg
IMG_7589.jpg
IMG_7590.jpg
I put this in the glasshouse in early September to see what happened. Today was rewarded with new shoots back budding on some of the old hardwood. Cheers Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

P1040239.JPG
G'day... time for an update. The good news, its still alive... Hurrah!! Horticulturally the tree is doing well. I gave it a major root prune in late December. After reading a comment by Matta about reducing the roots in stages, I felt in the time frame of one year I had better start. I repotted it into a mix of 25% attapugilite, 25% decomposed granite bits, 25% my own compost and 15% vermiculite. Fortnightly, I have been feeding with a mixture of diluted goat poo tea and comfrey tea. I am happy with its progress so far. Craig
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Updating,I got this trees pot on the weekend ,it's a PK pot and I'm very happy with it .Now I need patience. I really want to join these two together but I will wait till October. I am trying to get a little bit more growth before winter sets in. I have given it a few light trims and created some deadwood.
Not sure about the first branch (it's a bit straight and looking a bit pompomish). I'll probably gouge out more of the Shari to create more taper.
I cut back on my fertilizers and I'm only giving it comfrey tea (the goat poo tea is quite high in nitrogen) comfrey has a lot of potassium and it will help with the cccold weather. I'll give this guy a real soft winter. I'm not really sure if this variety will survive in this climate. I planted another one as a landscape plant it will be interesting to see how it goes exposed to the elements.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

(Sno) Leptospermum 'Riot'

Post by Sno »

Winter update
I have done a little bit more styling and played with the surface roots . This tree's roots are fairly ordinary (typical root bound stock). Horticulturally the tree is coping well.
The landscape tree was dug up by Wally Wombat, it did not enjoy the experience .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342521939.688130.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342521965.651308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342521994.993421.jpg
Bebbas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: How do you choose??!!

Post by Bebbas »

OMG Sno!

As a Newbie to Bonsai, I am just amazed at what you have done to this plant,(and what it has coped with!!).
Awesome work so far. I will be watching with great interest to see what happens next. Keep the updates coming
How can you ever succeed if you are afraid to fail?
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Thanks Bebbas for your comments.I am only just starting in bonsai too so this is a great learning process for me. Welcome to Ausbonsai . There is some really great stuff happening on this forum , you should check out the native bonsai the guys in your home state are doing . Some really amazing trees.
Cheers Craig.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

G'day, these are my final photos for this comp.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351684573.928200.jpg
Final image
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351684647.383622.jpg
180mm high
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351684717.527780.jpg
Front
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351684752.669589.jpg
back
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351684850.895260.jpg
Close up of accent
This tree is fun to work with and has performed well in the last 14 months. The tree's roots needed a lot of work (it was really pot bound in an 8inch pot when i bought it).I have over potted it this time ,I aim to have it in a more appropriate pot next year.I am influenced by the trees in my area which have endured fire, I hope the tree conveys this. With the warmer weather starting I'm looking forward to a growth spurt.
Thanks Steven for setting this up. Its been great to see the progression of some amazing little tree's
Cheers Craig
Ps the other tree that I had planted as a landscape plant is now the burnt log in my accent. It did not enjoy the experience .

Return to “AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011-2012”