[ANBITA] Babingtonia Virgata.

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 30th June 2012.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

[ANBITA] Babingtonia Virgata.

Post by boom64 »

[ANBITA]
Babingtonia Virgata

"Baeckia"

Height 300mm
Width 550mm

Training 10 months

By Boom 64, John, South Coast N.S.W

This tree was collected at the end of winter 2011. It was growing on a flat depression on a large rock and had a very small root base. It went straight into a bonsai pot and has been roughly wired once. Unfortunately I lost several major branches [since jinned] over summer. It has had several flushes of growth over the last 10 months and has been cut back to shape each time. I have kept the tree facing in one direction as I am trying to keep the flow of the leaves in harmony with the flow of the thicker branches. I plan to re-pot into a new thinner pot at the end of spring. As I think the soil mix could be improved, hopefully the top will start to fill out and I can start to shape the canopy. Thanks John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: [ANBITA] Babingtonia Virgata.

Post by Roger »

Boom
Great material to be starting with. I look forward to seeing what you do with the ramification and disposition of the branches.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Nice composition John. What are the dimensions :?:
Last edited by bodhidharma on May 24th, 2012, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Roger,
I hope i can do this plant proud. I have had good luck with collecting this species but i seem to lose a few once i re-pot into a bonsai pot. Heart breaking at times. All part of the journey. Cheers John.

Hi Bodhi,
The laying base is 230mm long.The thickest part of the trunk between the left hand elbow and the twin branches heading to the back is 45mm.The left hand branch is 250mm high from the lip of the pot, the right 300mm .The pot is 400mm x 65mm. Cheers John.

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2012”