[ANBITA] Leptospermum Brevipes (not confident on species)

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 30th June 2012.
Steve Warren
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: NATIVES-MELS
Bonsai Age: 15

[ANBITA] Leptospermum Brevipes (not confident on species)

Post by Steve Warren »

This multitrunk Lepto was collected in early October 2011. It is a hard species to get any real ramification, although it has only had one season in which to attempt. Hopefully I can acheive better ramification this season. I have started carving as there had been borers in two of the trunks and the thickest trunk had to have its height reduced. I have put in place two thread grafts to give me some foliage lower down at the back (was previously going to be the front). This season I ham hoping to get some density to the canopy, refine my carving (as well as char and lime sulphur)and continued to grow the thread grafts.
Height: 35cm
Width: 32cm
IMG_7937 today 27.6.12.jpg
IMG_5648as collected.jpg
IMG_67923 months.jpg
IMG_7253 threads grafts in place.jpg
Regards

Steve W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steve Warren on June 27th, 2012, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it were not for my trees, maybe I could see the forest.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: [ANBITA] Leptospermum Brevipes (not confident on species)

Post by GavinG »

That's a fine base to build on. I'd like to know your secrets when collecting - they're not that easy.

Gavin
Steve Warren
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: NATIVES-MELS
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: [ANBITA] Leptospermum Brevipes (not confident on species)

Post by Steve Warren »

Hello Gavin
GavinG wrote:That's a fine base to build on. I'd like to know your secrets when collecting - they're not that easy.

Gavin

I have collected 5 of these Leptospermum, all the same species on that same day. 3 smaller ones and one single trunk that is a little large than this multi trunk.
They were dug in the middle of spring after some consistent rain. I wasn't particularly careful as this was my first dig and I was in a bit of a hurry. I wrapped some damp sphagnum moss around the roots that remained and put them in the car for the 1 hour drive home. 4 of the trees were put in any manner of pot I could find, using just a good quality potting mix and watered with seasol. The single trunk was put straight into the ground as I had run out of pots. 4 weeks later the one in the ground was lifted and put in a poly box. All 5 plants survived and grown well ever since. I have found this species really easy to collect considering my lack of collecting experience.
I think time of year and wet ground, and a little luck played a huge part. These were dug from under powerlines, cutting accross a friends property in the South Nowra area.

Regards

Steve W
Last edited by Steve Warren on June 27th, 2012, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it were not for my trees, maybe I could see the forest.

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2012”