[Rowan] - Juniperus sabina

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese elm
Bonsai Age: 25

[Rowan] - Juniperus sabina

Post by rowan »

Thought I would put in some entries for this comp. This is one I just picked at random off the shelves.

Species: Juniperus sabina
Height: 17cm
Where from: Local nursery (Conboys, Mt Gambier) throwing out some old, rootbound stock. July 2011.
Cost: $3.50

Side one
sabinaa.jpg
Side two
sabinab.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on February 13th, 2012, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: [Title]
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu
http://www.rowansbonsai.com Yamadori nursery.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Rowan - Juniperus sabina

Post by Jamie »

very nice Rowan!

this piece of stock will do well over the next year or so! good trunk size, interesting bark and movement. one little thing though...

try look outside the square with this one, as in dont take the obvious route of semi cascade, you may find a better tree in there other then a semi :D I had something similar not that long ago and wasnt happy with it, restyled, made it upright into a nice informal upright and I havent looked back, it turned out much better :D

you do have a lot of time to go with the comp so time is on your side :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rowan »

I decided to go with a semi-cascade windswept (similar to figure 147 in Bonsai - Its Art, Science, History and Philosophy). I decided on this style simply because I have hardly any cascades or semis.
I have trimmed it and pruned off the extra branch/trunk but left an extra at the base/back for a sacrifice. Moved it closer to the edge of the pot. More wiring will be done when I get some time. Spent some time on the net to find and buy a pot for it.

The Tree as of this morning:
sabinasept.jpg
A simple and badly done virt:
sabinasept-virt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rowan »

Her is the tree now. Nothing much different from lat time. It has not grown much and I am thinking of choosing another style for it. Will get to it in the next month.
sabinaoct.jpg
Lao Tzu
_gurbuz_
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by _gurbuz_ »

Rowan, i am waiting the steps and the result of this nice sabina.. Actually i bought a twin trunk sabina in last week but i am still watching it and trying to understand what can i do?! i am a newbie and i will post its photos and ask some advice but it seems the best choice is cascade(i dont like much) and semi cascade..

hope it will be a nice bonsai, let us know the steps please,

-gürbüz-
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rowan »

Well, I am away all december so I thought I will put up the new pics now.
I just couldn't find inspiration for this tree so I cut it right back and it is shooting out nicely. I have time to decide on a future style so I will leave it alone now for a few months with maybe a bit of tip pruning. I think the trunk size is more in scale now. Ignore the background.
sabinanov.jpg
Lao Tzu
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rowan »

I'm letting this put on more foliage but I am still not sure about what to do with it. It just doesn't inspire me but I suppose it will look a lot better when I put it in its final pot.
sabinafeb.jpg
Lao Tzu
cuwire
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by cuwire »

Hi Rowan

Would this tree jin well ? -- how about making a jin with some movement of almost all of the tree about an inch after the main bend ?

The growth close to the bend looks very healthy and may go anywhere The jin could be shortened later depending on the upward growth.

Hope this is radical enough.

Cheers
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rowan »

Thanks, might work.
Lao Tzu

Return to “Non conforming entries”