[Withdrwan] [MattA] - Unknown garden shrub entry

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

[Withdrwan] [MattA] - Unknown garden shrub entry

Post by MattA »

This tree has been grown from a cutting taken 5yrs ago, it spent 2yrs in a pot & the last 3 growing in the ground, receiving regular hard prunings. It normally forms a bush to about 3mtrs and produces clusters of upright orange flowers, I do not know the name of it unfortunately.

I dug the tree today & shortened all the growth but have done no styling work as yet, everything as shown is from while it was in the ground. While I have no previous experience with this tree as a bonsai its growth in the garden gives me high hopes for it to do well over the course of the competition.

Species - Unknown
Source - Garden grown cutting
Height - 25cm
insitu1.jpg
entry1a.jpg
entry1b.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on May 25th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edit Title to reflect status
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Re: MattA - Unknown garden shrub entry

Post by MattA »

Last edited by Mitchell on August 31st, 2011, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Requested
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Re: MattA - Unknown garden shrub entry

Post by Ash Barns »

Last edited by Mitchell on August 31st, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Irrelevant to thread
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MattA
Banned
Banned

Re: [MattA] - Unknown garden shrub entry

Post by MattA »

Last edited by Mitchell on August 31st, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Requested
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I have been looking at this from every angle since it was dug, trying to find a tree hiding inside.
unknown309A.jpg
Today I finally had some time to actually do the first cut, removing the left hand trunk as it had very little movement or taper & was the same size as the right trunk which wouldnt work for a good twin trunk. I left plenty to maybe do something with later, the bark was cut & peeled away from the base but has been left for nature to deal with on the upper part. I also cut the top half out of the other trunk to remove the straight taperless part.
unknown309B.jpg
New buds are starting to pop now and the tree will be left to recover from its digging & initial cut. I am still not totally sure where this tree is going but for now heres another view.
unknown309C.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
DMS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by DMS »

Hi Matt,
Need a close up of leaves and buds and flowers if possible to have a better chance if IDing your plant.
DMS
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

DMS wrote:Hi Matt,
Need a close up of leaves and buds and flowers if possible to have a better chance if IDing your plant.
DMS
Hey DMS,

Heres a pic of the leaves as best I got before butchery, I havent seen it flower in more than a few years (pruned too often)
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=8983

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Chris Sirre
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Elms,Trident Maples,Pines,Natives
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Chris Sirre »

Hi Matt,

It looks like a Gardenia to me.

Cheers,

Chris
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Maybe Ixora?
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Not Gardenia.
Sno wrote:Maybe Ixora?
I did a google search & it does look a bit like them, compacta looks the closest to what I remember of the flowers. Once it is growing strong again I will take a piece to a nursery mate & see if he can help.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I did a bit of a tidy up on this during the week. Shortening the stump I had left & also removing the top section. It hasn't really grown much so today I also repotted as I think the pot it was in was too big & holding too much moisture. While it was out of the pot I removed a couple more larger roots aswell.
100_3967.JPG
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Withdrawn...

Alive but not really doing much, I think this is going to need more than a few years before it even gets close...
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

I think sno is correct it looks like an Ixora to me as well. Probably cultivar "Coral Fire." if it is orange, not yellow or pink.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Hackimoto,

I just googled it & the leaves look right but new growth isnt bronze & it grows considerably larger than the 1m that the various sites state. One thing I read that was of interest, they dont like wet feet & prefer a cool root run. That explains why I have had issue with it since digging, I will persist...

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Re: [Withdrwan] [MattA] - Unknown garden shrub entry

Post by Hackimoto »

If not Coral Fire then it is probably Prince of Orange, the bronze new foliage only comes if it is in full sun, otherwise it will be green.

Return to “Non conforming entries”