[FEX] CEDAR OF LABANON

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ASH,CONIFER,PINES,MAPLES
Bonsai Age: 4

[FEX] CEDAR OF LABANON

Post by FEX »

Hi everyone,,, My name is Joe tenikoff... i am new to Ausbonsai,(few days).I bought this tree on the bay for $24 .height . 34cm. might try something with it, was going to grow it on . i think i still can if it does not go to plan style wise,or i don't kill it first... i'm fairly new to this, i have tried some bonsai styling many years ago , read a few books e.t.c . i hope i can learn heaps on this site...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 5th, 2013, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: FEX - CEDAR OF LABANON

Post by Bretts »

I haven't played with these much, believe they are slow growing but on a styling aspect I would work with the tree to get rid of the first branch on the left and then reduce the other two branches to one or two buds/branches. Regrow the tree from here with the middle branch as the new leader.
I am guessing this would be best done in stages with this species?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FEX »

i will probably just try to just style this tree, not too much cutting, maybe wind swept or cascade hybrid,, am i pushing my luck?......
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Ausbonsai!

If that tree is a Lebanese Cedar it is going to grow very slowly. To my knowledge it is the slowest growing Cedar, but in my opinion one of the prettier ones for bonsai. If you are planning to use it for this competition, I would not count on too much growth, and also bear in mind that they take ages to set wired branches. One technique used to quicken this process is to cut down to the heartwood on the back of the branch so that the scarring helps to hold the branch in position. I know it sounds ridiculous, but as they are such slow growers, be particularly careful of wire bite. I have a tendancy to forget the wiring as I am not checking the tree often enough (becasue of the slow growth). Go figure! :lost:

Good luck for the compo!
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Oh I missed it was entered into the competition. That would change things a bit :oops:
Last edited by Bretts on August 15th, 2011, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FEX »

Andrew Legg wrote:Hi Joe,

Welcome to Ausbonsai!

If that tree is a Lebanese Cedar it is going to grow very slowly. To my knowledge it is the slowest growing Cedar, but in my opinion one of the prettier ones for bonsai. If you are planning to use it for this competition, I would not count on too much growth, and also bear in mind that they take ages to set wired branches. One technique used to quicken this process is to cut down to the heartwood on the back of the branch so that the scarring helps to hold the branch in position. I know it sounds ridiculous, but as they are such slow growers, be particularly careful of wire bite. I have a tendancy to forget the wiring as I am not checking the tree often enough (becasue of the slow growth). Go figure! :lost:

Good luck for the compo!
thanks for the welcome,,, great idea.. i did not realise cedars take a while to set when wired, i think i'm going to be pushing something up a hill here,, i'm not worried about trying the cutting to the heartwood.sounds like the only thing that will work,, looks like i will have to find a 2nd tree of a different kind to enter...... cheers,,, Joe
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Welcome to the forum and comp.
the fact that the tree may have wire on when then comp finished should not be an issue so long as it done well, and only on the branches.

Do not do anything to the tree that will jeopardise its future just to make the comp date.
Interesting choice for the comp and yet something different again :yes:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FEX »

FEX wrote:Hi everyone,,, My name is Joe tenikoff... i am new to Ausbonsai,(few days).I bought this tree on the bay for $24 .height . 34cm. might try something with it, was going to grow it on . i think i still can if it does not go to plan style wise,or i don't kill it first... i'm fairly new to this, i have tried some bonsai styling many years ago , read a few books e.t.c . i hope i can learn heaps on this site...
..... TREE HISTORY .. 6 years old , planted from seed.....
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Joe, good luck in the comp mate!
Aren't photos funny/deceptive at times :lost: ...I thought it was much bigger untill I read it was 34cm high.
It looks nice and healthy !
Cheers, Dario.
Last edited by Dario on August 15th, 2011, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FEX »

Dario wrote:Hi Joe, good luck in the comp mate!
Aren't photos funny/deceptive at times :lost: ...I thought it was much bigger untill I read it was 34cm high.
It looks nice and healthy !
Cheers, Dario.
cheers Dario, i picked the darkest one out of 6 trees i have , i have done a re-pot , very poor soil, they were in ,and root bound,, i have 1 left to re-pot, here are some pics of the comp tree :whistle: , still don't know what i'm gonna do with it :lost: , might have picked the wrong tree :fc: ... cheers...Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FEX on August 21st, 2011, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: FEX - CEDAR OF LABANON ★ ★ ★

Post by FEX »

Hello there, quick question regarding the shohin comp, are we allowed to get ideas from anywhere, as long as i do the actual styling, i am talking about MAINLY being inspired by pictures, nature, e.t.c.. any specific rules ,cheers . FEX :yes:
Last edited by kcpoole on May 25th, 2012, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ★ ★ ★

Return to “Non conforming entries”