[Hornet] - Syzygium luehmannii

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

[Hornet] - Syzygium luehmannii

Post by Hornet »

Species - Syzygium luehmannii
Height - 28cm
Obtained from - Bunnings
Cost - $8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 5th, 2013, 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ★ ★ ★
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Hornet] - Syzygium luehmannii

Post by Hornet »

So grabbed this little guy from bunnings today to have a shot at the shohin comp. Doesnt have much of a trunk but i think it looks quite graceful, paired with the dainty foliage it just seemed right to me and of course being a native helped the decision. Not too sure which front i will choose but leaning towards pic 1, the trunk movement is more appealing to me then in pic 2, will just have to wire that crossed over branch out of the way. Looking forward to actually training a bonsai for the first time :)
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

So did a bit of wiring today, just on the trunk and the main branches. Not real happy with the wiring, its a bit messy (its my first real attempt at wiring), but hopefully it does the job. Not sure if the size of the wire may have played a part in the mess but thats how we all learn. Another thing i'm not overly happy with is it seems a little 2D, the main branches all come out to the side, none coming forwards or coming out the back. I'll leave it a few weeks fopr the wiring to take then i'll do some pruning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

Tweaked the wiring a little, twisted the trunk slightly so it does look so 2D any more. I'm not overly happy with how close the 2 lower branches are compared to the rest so i'm considering chopping the 2 lower branches off or just leave them for sacrifices, add some more movement to the trunk and do some work on those upper branches, what do you guys think?

John
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

What about creating more taper by cutting it off at either the first or second branch and bending that up to be the new leader :2c:
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

thats not a bad idea, will go ponder that possibility more shortly. Thanks mate.

John

Return to “Non conforming entries”