[Michael T] - Azalea 'Saotome'

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: [Michael T] - Azalea 'Saotome'

Post by siddhar »

This plant is interesting because clump style bonsai for me, just looks too close to the original genus of the plant. Don't get me wrong this plant will eventually make a nice bonsai. But I want my trees to look less like plants and more like a trees, after all that is my understanding of the art-form.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Hawthorns, Maples, Azaleas, Melaleucas,
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Weston Creek Bonsai Group

Post by Michael T »

P1120564.JPG
This plant has grown a lot since the posting. One can see the lust growth on it as compared to the last photo. I have removed all of the wiring from it since it is such a prolific grower. However when I restyle it again in the next few months, I shall have to rewire those branches that have grown out of the design that I have in store for it. Toward the end of winter or early Spring, I shall be repotting it into a different shohin pot. I have bought a couple of them and hopefully at least one will be suitable for it. That will be the final repot which I think I shall do probably in September.
P1120564.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1120564.JPG
To tell you the truth, I thought I have posted this picture about 20 or so minutes ago, but when I checked the postings, I couldn't find it. I am redoing it and if by chance it appears twice, I apologise for the error.

This plant has grown a lot since the posting. One can see the lust growth on it as compared to the last photo. I have removed all of the wiring from it since it is such a prolific grower. However when I restyle it again in the next few weeks, I shall have to rewire those branches that have grown out of the design that I have in store for it. Toward the end of winter or early Spring, I shall be repotting it into a different shohin pot. I have bought a couple of them and hopefully at least one will be suitable for it. That will be the final repot which I think I shall do probably in September.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

I am withdrawing this bonsai from the competition as half the 'trees' have died during the winter.
Bonsai4ever
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 38
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Bonsai4ever »

Sorry to hear that Michael, it was beginning to show a lot of promise as well. May I ask how much root you removed when you potted it up? It has been my experience that these littter suckers are quite tempermental with root reduction and it should only be done in stages. I have lost several of them after teasing out the roots too much but I persevere as I think that the leaf size is perfect for small bonsai. When I repot now, I only take three wedges out at a time (like a pie).

I also believe that the clump style has to be up there with the most difficult to perfect and make realistic, yours was beginning to get there.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

Bonsai4ever wrote:Sorry to hear that Michael, it was beginning to show a lot of promise as well. May I ask how much root you removed when you potted it up? It has been my experience that these littter suckers are quite tempermental with root reduction and it should only be done in stages. I have lost several of them after teasing out the roots too much but I persevere as I think that the leaf size is perfect for small bonsai. When I repot now, I only take three wedges out at a time (like a pie).

I also believe that the clump style has to be up there with the most difficult to perfect and make realistic, yours was beginning to get there.
Hi Bonsai4ever,
Yes, I was away for 3 weeks during winter. I had the drippers on for alternate days and someone to come in to check that everything is all right and water if not. Those winter days when I was away, were very cold and many days much below zero Celsius like -3 to -6 degree C. I think standing with cold feet at that temperature isn't good for it. I removed slightly more than half the roots initially, but the plant was growing quite vigorously throughout the spring and summer and I have to prune back the branches to maintain its shape. I actually was quite confident that it will be all right. Anyway I suppose you win some and you lose some. I may try again with another clump of saotome in the near future. Thanks for your interest in the plant and I am sorry it did not make it through.

Return to “Non conforming entries”