[DEAD][MattA] Corymbia maculata entry #2

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

[DEAD][MattA] Corymbia maculata entry #2

Post by MattA »

This Eucalypt was collected recently from under high tension power lines. Its going out on a limb but with buds starting to show already I am keen to see how far it can go in the 14mths to come.

MattA
Corymbia maculata
Collected July 2011
cost nil
height 10cm with more trunk buried
yamaeuc1.jpg
yamaeuc2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FlyBri on January 11th, 2012, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Re: [MattA] Corymbia maculata entry #2

Post by nealweb »

nice stump :tu: hope it does well.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

nealweb wrote:nice stump :tu: hope it does well.
Thanks Neal, I have had a fair bit of success with collecting maculata so it should do ok. As the new shoots gain strength I will slowly lower the soil level to reveal anothercoupelk of cm of trunk & deadwood. It will also allow me to get the remaining soil out of the central hollow & see where it leads. I find deep planting of this type of stock helps greatly in recovery & encouraging shoots as high up the wood as possible.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I wont be doing much work on this for a while. New buds have popped all over the main part & are now starting to extend. I was concerned the small secondary trunk on the other side had not popped but is now starting to aswell.
maculatasep11.JPG
My original idea was to style this as a twin trunk so looks like I may still be able to. Lots of growing yet to do, hopefully by december I may be able to start working the soil line down. Am hanging to see how much more trunk i will have to play with, as well as where that central hollow goes to.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thought I would share some pics of this stump as it comes back to life. I hosed out most of the dirt from the hollow and now have a better view into the possibilities. Growth is starting to extend on both sides which will give me plenty of options in a few months. For now its had its first light feed of Osmocote native and will be allowed to do its own thing.
corymbia249a.JPG
corymbia249b.JPG
corymbia249c.JPG
At this stage it is growing on stored energy and needs as much sun as possible to re establish, constant moisture and protecting from the wind until a decent rootball has formed.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

The first hurdle... mid october, the stored energy has run its limit...all new growth stops, foliage loses its sheen & smaller shoots start to die out... This is all fairly normal for collected eucs at this stage, if it is to survive it has to root NOW... And it did ... new growth started up again and while I want to go slow to prevent the loss of another entry, I really want to see whats under that soil & start plotting the next step. I lowered the soil level by about 2cm & trimmed the pot to give a clearer view of what I have to play with.
100_3470rz.jpg
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Re: [DEAD] Corymbia maculata entry #2

Post by MattA »

Died due to a few missed waterings. It is crucial to ensure good moisture levels until strong root growth is evident, even then its best to avoid any great stress for the first year or so after collecting any tree, natives inparticular.

Its not a complete loss as I think I might try my hand at a tanuki using maculata seedlings, it wont be eligable for the comp but the stump has lots of interest in & of itself to have a go. I will post updates as & when.

Matt
Last edited by MattA on January 11th, 2012, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Andrew E
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club, South Lakes Bonsai Club

Re: [DEAD][MattA] Corymbia maculata entry #2

Post by Andrew E »

Spewin Matt, This one was going to be a cracker

Andrew
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

S hari happens... It is definitely a great piece of wood :lol:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hey Matt, Andrew E said it for me...spewing, it was going to be a cracker!
Yeah shari happens, but I really wanted to see this one at the end of the comp...picture a 2yr old throwing a tantrem! :palm: :evil: :lol: :palm:
Oh well...
Cheers, Dario. :tu2:
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Picture a 70kg great dane throwing a 2yr old tantrum when told he could not eat the stump just because it is under the bench.
:twisted: :lol:
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Non conforming entries”