[Ray] Syzygium

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast/ Tweed

[Ray] Syzygium

Post by Ray »

Syzygium
Height 60cm
Nursert at Carrera markets
Cost $7.50

Just after this was purchased, it got blown over by the wind and laid on the ground for a few days. It lost a lot of it's leaves, so I defoliated most of the tree to try and save it. It will be cut back to a trunk after Sept. 1, but please let me know if anybody feels this is outside the rules of the competition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 5th, 2013, 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Ray] Syzygium

Post by Ray »

Trunk chop and replant done today, still might need to be reduced more, as it is currently at 25cm high. Will see how and where it back buds and what I'll have to work with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray »

Progress is slow...
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray »

Progress is happening, but is slow. I had a plan, but the tree isn't working along with me, so for now I'll just keep it healthy and see what grows. I still think it has potential to be something nice, but perhaps outside the time frame of this competition.
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray »

I'm a little frustrated with this tree, it's putting out growth but nothing that makes it fit within the contest. There are some options to further cut the trunk back, but the time left makes if not really feasible. For now, I'm going to keep it growing and make a decision closer to spring about whether to chop it, or pull it out of the comp and do something different with it.
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray »

I have decided to withdraw this tree from the competition.

The growth it has put out isn't suitable to style the tree as a shohin, it has better potential to be used in a style outside the size range. I do plan to continue updating pics of the progression this tree will be undertaking, so it's not a lost cause.

Return to “Non conforming entries”