[Craig] - Melaleuca Preissiana

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: [Craig] - Melaleuca Preissiana

Post by Craig »

After receiving my pots from Penny at Mudlark pottery, i couldn't help myself, it looks too good not to share, enjoy. :beer:

:flag: P.S- i appreciate all of your work, thanks Penny.
DSC00897.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fiveoffive
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm / Pine /maple
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by fiveoffive »

That looks great. coming along realy well :clap:

That pot is epic ! it realy fits the tree
Pandu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: To many to choose!
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc.

Post by Pandu »

Excellent work mate, this will turn out to be a great tree. :worship:
Pot suits it well too :tu:
Cheers
Pandu
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Craig, you have been busy - you only received the pots yesterday. Glad they arrived safely and that you like them.
Penny.
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

Lovely pot and and interesting tree too. Well done Craig and Penny.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

thanks Fiveoffive, Pandu, Roger and Penny .

-also to be noted that the SLAB is a handmade piece from Penny aswell, not alot of people like making slabs so i am truely grateful to penny for making me one. truely Penny's best work to date :imo: :beer:
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Roger »

Penny
That is an amazing bit of flat work. Well done!

Craig, can we get a better view of the 'slab'?
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

:yes:
Slab - 1 .jpg
Slab - 3 .jpg
PICT0025.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Roger »

Craig
That's lightning fast reply with pics! Many thanks indeed.
They are lovely slabs for sure. It is no mean accomplishment to fire a slab the size of the large one and keep it flat. :cool:
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

I thought the pics were of just the one slab?
It is a lovely slab Craig and Penny?
What is it made out of...clay like the pots? and is it very heavy?
I especially love the colours and the way they blend together!
Cheers, Dario.
EDIT spelling
Last edited by Dario on May 24th, 2012, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Like grease Roger ;) ,

Dario there is 3 slabs, 1 main (430x280x10mm) and 2 soe pot slabs. there are 4 pots , 2 shohin and 2 soe pots.

i can't take any credit for designing the slabs or pots , it was ALL Penny, i sent a request and this is the result, ALL Penny :worship:
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

The slabs are made from Keane's white raku clay and are not dead flat (neither are my shelves now). The two smaller slabs in that photo fired the wrong colour so I made a couple more which do match the larger one. The glaze is one of those colloidal ones and has to be thick to get the iridescent colour and because of this I couldn't have it over the edges. I painted the edges of the slabs to blend in with the rest of the colours. I didn't weigh the slab but it would certainly be under 400gms. I made the smaller ones because I thought the whole composition might look too crowded on the one slab. Craig have you tried it with the soe on one of the smaller slabs yet? How does it compare?
Penny.
The slab is supposed to represent the swamp conditions the tree would normally be growing in. After seeing a few photos of Craig's tree, I wanted it to look as natural as possible to show off the beauty of the tree.That was the idea anyway. Craig was trusting enough to let me try it.
Last edited by mudlarkpottery on May 25th, 2012, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

mudlarkpottery wrote:The slabs are made from Keane's white raku clay and are not dead flat (neither are my shelves now). The two smaller slabs in that photo fired the wrong colour so I made a couple more which do match the larger one. The glaze is one of those colloidal ones and has to be thick to get the iridescent colour and because of this I couldn't have it over the edges. I painted the edges of the slabs to blend in with the rest of the colours. I didn't weigh the slab but it would certainly be under 400gms. I made the smaller ones because I thought the whole composition might look too crowded on the one slab. Craig have you tried it with the soe on one of the smaller slabs yet? How does it compare?
Penny.
The slab is supposed to represent the swamp conditions the tree would normally be growing in. After seeing a few photos of Craig's tree, I wanted it to look as natural as possible to show off the beauty of the tree.That was the idea anyway. Craig was trusting enough to let me try it.

Thanks Penny, maybe if someone is quick enough to pm you , they;ll be able to buy the second large slab we didn't end up needing, if they don't , i might :whistle:
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Craig wrote:
Dario there is 3 slabs, 1 main (430x280x10mm) and 2 soe pot slabs.
Ok :tu2:, I misunderstood and was refering to the large slab.
Well I have learnt something new..."soe pots and soe slabs"...is "soe" a size reference or something else?
Thanks for answering my questions Penny...
mudlarkpottery wrote:The slabs are made from Keane's white raku clay and are not dead flat (neither are my shelves now). The two smaller slabs in that photo fired the wrong colour so I made a couple more which do match the larger one. The glaze is one of those colloidal ones and has to be thick to get the iridescent colour and because of this I couldn't have it over the edges. I painted the edges of the slabs to blend in with the rest of the colours. I didn't weigh the slab but it would certainly be under 400gms. I made the smaller ones because I thought the whole composition might look too crowded on the one slab. Craig have you tried it with the soe on one of the smaller slabs yet? How does it compare?
Penny.
I love how you approached the design of the large slab...
mudlarkpottery wrote:The slab is supposed to represent the swamp conditions the tree would normally be growing in. After seeing a few photos of Craig's tree, I wanted it to look as natural as possible to show off the beauty of the tree.That was the idea anyway. Craig was trusting enough to let me try it.
...and the iridescence (as you so aptly describe it) of the glaze/colour is remarkable Penny:cool:
Congratulations to the both of you well done Craig for giving Penny the artistic freedom and trust to allow her to interpret the work, as the result is truely beautiful!
Cheers, Dario.

Return to “Non conforming entries”