[Craig] - Melaleuca Preissiana

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: [Craig] - Melaleuca Preissiana

Post by Craig »

:gday: All, as i said previously i'm not wasting 1 minute of the 14 months in this comp. The tree has been moved into a bonsai pot, it's not the one i want to use for the final tree, but because the tree has a few larger/deeper roots than i thought, i had to settle for this depth at the moment :x . The tree is currently 258mm from soil level ,the base is 70mm wide. The tree is starting to head in the right direction :yes: .

Repot-1-comp-preissiana.jpg
comp-repot00012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

Nice work Craig, its looking the goods alright. :tu:
Glad to see someone forging ahead, after all the exitment during the countdown to the start there hasn't been all that much to look at yet. Not like your pot, can't help looking at that!!! :o :lol: :lol: ;)
Keep up the good work...

n.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Nice work Craig! I always new this tree must of had good basal flare otherwise you would never have drawn the proposed virts the way you did...and yes, the base looks good!
I noticed that the planting angle you had before you repotted it was slightly greater (leaning to the left a little more).
Are you intending on keeping the trunk angle as is now, or will you tilt it more to the left at a later stage?
Looking good Craig, good luck!
Cheers, Dario. :)
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Thanks Neal, you like the pot , i think it's pretty ordinary myself, maybe it'll be yours oneday :yes:

Hi Dario , when i went to repot, this is the angle that it "just sat at" , so even tho it wasn't enough lean ,i went with it.I need to at the next repot remove about 30mm or so from the bottom roots, so it will go in a different pot. So now i'll leave it grow for the next 11 months , all the while thinking to tilt or not to tilt, and when i repot again in 11 months i'll surely of decided :yes: . cheers guys
Last edited by Craig on September 19th, 2011, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Craig,

Looking good, bet your glad you picked a Melaleuca to play with, they grow so fast you dont have to waste a second... I really like your plans for it.

Couple of things stand out to my eye,..
Will the bark colour difference change without having to do anything (above/below orig soil line)?
Is that a little bit of reverse taper half way up the darker section?

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

MattA wrote:bet your glad you picked a Melaleuca to play with
Hi Matt, i'll be glad in a few months when i see absolute positive growth, at the moment it's still very touch and go.
The color change of bark is easy enough to fix ;) and the reverse taper is just a carve away :) ,i thought someone might try and pull that one :beer: Thanks mate
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Craig wrote:
MattA wrote:bet your glad you picked a Melaleuca to play with
Hi Matt, i'll be glad in a few months when i see absolute positive growth, at the moment it's still very touch and go.
The color change of bark is easy enough to fix ;) and the reverse taper is just a carve away :) ,i thought someone might try and pull that one :beer: Thanks mate
Your braver than me working it so soon, slowly slowly with mine.

I wasnt sure if it was a taper issue or just the way the bark has peeled above but not below soil line...

Whats the process to fix the bark colour?

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

MattA wrote:Whats the process to fix the bark colour?
Watch this space :whistle:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

The bark colour doesn't bother me. Personally I would just let it blend with time and think it will look very natural to this species. But if there is a way to blend it a little quicker for the comp then that would be ok as well. Maybe a spray of diluted lime sulfur could help?

I can't say the taper worries me either. The issue is so slight and I think looks very natural for this species. I notice that you do plan on carving this area but I kinda like it as is. :shock:

What does concern me at the moment is the jin. Personally I would rather it reduced to a stub to avoid the straight section that you are trying to get away from. Easier to take off than replace though of course.

I guess it must be Ok for branches below vertical on this species. I lose track which can and which can't :lost:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Bretts wrote:The bark colour doesn't bother me. Personally I would just let it blend with time and think it will look very natural to this species. But if there is a way to blend it a little quicker for the comp then that would be ok as well. Maybe a spray of diluted lime sulfur could help?

I can't say the taper worries me either. The issue is so slight and I think looks very natural for this species. I notice that you do plan on carving this area but I kinda like it as is. :shock:

What does concern me at the moment is the jin. Personally I would rather it reduced to a stub to avoid the straight section that you are trying to get away from. Easier to take off than replace though of course.

I guess it must be Ok for branches below vertical on this species. I lose track which can and which can't :lost:
This one Brett eventualy drops the branches like the gum trees, in nature they can last for 5 to 10 years but do drop off in the end.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

The images of the trees in the wild are extraordinary!

Good work so far.

Grant
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Bretts wrote:The bark colour doesn't bother me. Personally I would just let it blend with time and think it will look very natural to this species. But if there is a way to blend it a little quicker for the comp then that would be ok as well. Maybe a spray of diluted lime sulfur could help?

Thanks Brett, the jin kinda concerns me aswell being straight as it is :x , the new foliage and branching will fill in around so the jin should sorta be hidden, we'll see what develops. It would prob look ok without it also :) . looks like i'll need to take into account the need for replacement branches, when the downward branch fails :whistle:I appreciate your feedback mate ,cheers.

Thanks Neal ,Grant oh and don't forget Pup , :palm: . :lol:
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

This is the tree as it stands today :yes: , i have twice removed alot of new shoots from the lower trunk, and if the Sun was more consistant around here it would be growing better :D
100_3582.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

:gday: All , update, I love this tree :tu: , growing very well now, new buds are appearing this week and about to burst.
comptrees100_3652.jpg
comptrees100_3658.jpg
comptree100_3654.jpg
comptree100_3661.jpg
comptree100_3659.jpg
comptree100_3656.jpg
comptree100_3655.jpg
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

Your 'fixing' of the colour difference on the trunk sure has done the trick, Craig. It is looking very good. :clap:

Glenda
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me

Return to “Non conforming entries”