[Craig] - Melaleuca Preissiana

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

[Craig] - Melaleuca Preissiana

Post by Craig »

Species Melaleuca Preissiana

Height 300mm , 60mm base

Where from collected from bush

Cost $0

This is roughly where i'll be heading,

Last edited by Craig on January 14th, 2012, 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: [Craig] - Melaleuca Preissiana

Post by Dario »

Hi Craig, nice material indeed! Like the design too, and it looks like a very realistic/doable outcome for the comp as it is pretty much already there...good choice mate!
Look forward to seeing the apex and branching develop through the comp.
Good luck, Dario.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

:beer: Thanks Dario
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

Nice one Craig. Good sketch of where you want to go.
I wonder if you considered styling outside the triangle? What you've shown is classic, but not overyly imaginative :imo: :)

Roger
Last edited by Craig on August 28th, 2011, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Hi Roger, could you please offer an alternative sketch that you consider to be imaginative with this material based on your experience and understanding of this species...obviously something that can be achieved within the time line for the comp?
This is a genuine request to learn, and not having a go as it is not my position too...just very curious as to how you would approach this material Roger.
I like the sketch and consider it to be realistic for the comp's time frame...Roger as you said...classic.
Craig I hope you don't consider my request of Roger to be offensive, and also hope this is not getting side tracked from your entry!
Always looking to learn, and once again no offence intended to either of you Roger and Craig!!
Thank you, Dario. :) :tu2:
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

please don't post any virts or sketches of other peoples trees , thanks guys,
Roger, this was just a quick drawing, how far outside the triangle should i be thinking ?.
Last edited by Craig on August 28th, 2011, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

OOPS!! Very sorry!! :palm:
Dario.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

:whistle: no worries Dario, great to see you so keen mate,

Maybe i could go in this sort of direction, sort of a fallen tree raft style.. :palm:
shohin3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

Dario - no worries. No offence taken. Penetrating, respectful discussion is always welcome.

Craig, I shan't make suggestions as specific as drawings ... wouldn't be proper for the comp.

How far outside the triangle ... once you are out, the only limits are your imagination and your stamina - it can be both exhilarating and challenging. I like your second drawing. It begs to tell a story. Crowns are good. It should be as achievable in the competition time as your first drawing.

Take a look at Google/images for Melaleuca preissiana - there are quite a few excellent habitat shots of different shapes of mature trees. I don't argue that one must only follow what a species looks like in nature, rather, with such little use of trees in nature in Oz when contemplating bonsai, there is an enormously rich source of inspiration, that also has resonances with a species. Becoming sensitive to what species look like and how they differ from one place to another and from species to species can only broaden and deepen the extent of tools and inspirations the bonsai artist can call upon.

Roger
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Thanks Roger, i appreciate your thoughts, Thankyou
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

working with my original idea, a little virt of what it may look like :)
virt2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Take a look at Google/images for Melaleuca preissiana - there are quite a few excellent habitat shots of different shapes of mature trees. I don't argue that one must only follow what a species looks like in nature, rather, with such little use of trees in nature in Oz when contemplating bonsai, there is an enormously rich source of inspiration, that also has resonances with a species. Becoming sensitive to what species look like and how they differ from one place to another and from species to species can only broaden and deepen the extent of tools and inspirations the bonsai artist can call upon.

Roger
Indeed, there are quite a few photos of this Melaleuca, in which it most often is quite reminiscent of a 'typical' Eucalypt. This is what I mean: see http://www.flickr.com/photos/westflora/3179327748/ Perhaps this should be considered as "the" Australian style, in the way the flat-top is South African? :aussie:
In the bush one can sometimes see native shrubs or trees that have a distinctive appearance, one that may suggest a bonsai, but that isn't sure to happen with all the species that we acquire with a wish to shape them as bonsai. Then again, one is sometimes lucky to find an isolated shrub or tree in a garden, that can be quite inspiring.... I remember especially an old Grevillea in someone's front yard, that I would love to reproduce as a bonsai. And I wonder why the natives-loving bonsai artist-owner never did.

Lisa
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Thanks, Lisa that tree in your link is still very young and by no means would i consider it a Mature preissiana, in fact i have seen many mature preissiana in my local area, Yes i do know what they look like , Yes i do know how they grow when young ,Yes i do know how they grow when very old :yes: The tree in your link i would not consider a great example, and there are not alot of good pictures of Preissiana on the net, i have spent hours looking, please post some links,,.. :2c: :beer:
LLK wrote:Indeed, there are quite a few photos of this Melaleuca
24418418.jpg
Melaleuca_preissiana_-E.jpg
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

Craig wrote:working with my original idea, a little virt of what it may look like :)
virt2.JPG

I really like this one!!!
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

....in fact i have seen many mature preissiana in my local area, Yes i do know what they look like , Yes i do know how they grow when young ,Yes i do know how they grow when very old :yes:
Sorry, Craig, if I seemed to doubt your knowledge of this tree. I just wanted to tell Roger how difficult it is in general to translate into bonsai a tree we don't know. If I were given a M. preissiana l wouldn't have a clue on how to evoke that tree in the wild, with the photos I've seen on the Internet being no help. I like your second virtual and wish you good luck!

Lisa

Return to “Non conforming entries”