[Taffy] Ficus Eugenoides

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

[Taffy] Ficus Eugenoides

Post by Taffy »

Collected from the wild (friends garden) as a seedling in late 2004 and stuck in a black plastic pot. Trunk chopped off in May 2006 and just left to do it's own thing (1st photo). Except for watering and a bit of fertilizing it has had absolutely nothing done to it since.
DT1May06.jpg
Had a look at it today and found a root had grown out the bottom of the black plastic, down into another plastic below it that contains a Chinese Elm and then down into the ground. Was originally intending to do a banyan style tree but when I had a good look at the centre trunk I thought it would make a pretty good single trunk Shohin - and then thought of this comp. If it's accepted, and when I cut the lower branches off, the trunk chop is still a bit visible - at least where it was done can be seen.
DT28Aug11a.jpg
DT28Aug11b.jpg
DT28Aug11c.jpg
DT28Aug11d.jpg
Worth having a go I reckon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 5th, 2013, 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: withdrawn
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Taffy] Ficus Eugenoides

Post by Taffy »

Got into it today and here are the results - note the newspaper date:
DT1Sep111a.jpg
DT1Sep111b.jpg
DT1Sep111c.jpg
DT1Sep111d.jpg
DT1Sep111e.jpg
Forgot to say, the major branches I cut off down low have been potted up separately and bound together to get them to fuse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Taffy on September 1st, 2011, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Taffy.
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

really nice trunk Taffy, great shape. Only four more cm's height to go though and the leaves look like they are quite big on this variety. Awesome start, watching with interest :tu:
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Update.

Not doing too well at the moment. It was coming along nicely but got hit with some large curl grubs that took most of the fresh new roots off. I'm still hoping it will recover but if it doesn't improve in the next month I'll withdraw it.
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Taffy]-withdrawn- Ficus Eugenoides

Post by Taffy »

Withdrawn from Competition due to Curl Grub attack. Can one of the Mods please mark the title as "Withdrawn"

The mongrels chewed off all the new root and I don't think it's going to survive.

Curl Grubs 1 (tree) :tounge: - Taffy 5 (Curl Grubs) :tu:
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: withdrawn
Regards

Taffy.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

what soil mix do you use? and do you have lots of trouble with the dreaded grub in other trees?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
chrisatrocky
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: CRBSInc., R'ton Bonsai Group, Cap Coast Bonsai Group

Post by chrisatrocky »

i was looking forward to seeing this one too. :(

chris
Last edited by chrisatrocky on December 14th, 2011, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a giant amongst my trees.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

In styrene 'growing on' boxes, I use a standard commercial potting mix with added grit, trace elements and fertilizer Ken. So far with my trees, it's only figs that have been attacked by these mongrels but it isn't a huge problem - I mean it isn't a constant battle between me and the grubs. This is the first time they've actually managed to kill a tree. I think the last time one of my figs got hit was about 2 years ago. but I was lucky enough to find the grubs before they did too much damage. I dunk all my trees in liquid fertilizer every few months or so and I put some powerful insecticide in the water when I do (just in case there are curl grubs). Unfortunately for this tree, it was in between dunking times when I potted it into the styrene box, so it didn't get a dose.
The grubs really went to town on it. One day it was bright and happy with lots of new growth and the next day, all the new growth was limp, the leaves had all curled over and all the shoots were just hanging down. It must have used up all it's energy trying to survive but ran out of reserves.

I was looking forward to seeing it develop as well Chris. Pity, it had a nicely shaped trunk. No matter, I'll just start again with another one - I've got plenty to choose from.
Regards

Taffy.

Return to “Non conforming entries”