[MattA] Spotted Gum Ironbark forest #3

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

[MattA] Spotted Gum Ironbark forest #3

Post by MattA »

Eucalyptus crebra, fibrosa, punctata; Corymbia maculata & Melaleuca nodosa
Tallest tree 20cm
cost- nil (collected)
forest.jpg
The 5 main trees are all from a section of Lower Hunter Spotted Gum Ironbark Forest that has now been bulldozed for suburbia. If the judges deem it acceptable I would like to underplant with locally collected seed of various understory & ground layer plants from the ecosystem I am trying to recreate. Acacia, Glycine, Bursaria, Pratia etc I would undertake these planting during the coming season as the seed becomes available to collect.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 5th, 2013, 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edit Title to reflect status
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: [MattA]Spotted Gum Ironbark forest #3

Post by Craig »

MattA wrote:If the judges deem it acceptable
:gday: Matt, there's no judges as such, it's a people choice through a poll, someone asked about a group before and Steven said that was ok , so you should be ok aswell,, good luck
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Craig wrote:
MattA wrote:If the judges deem it acceptable
:gday: Matt, there's no judges as such, it's a people choice through a poll, someone asked about a group before and Steven said that was ok , so you should be ok aswell,, good luck
Hey Craig,
my concern was the fact I would have to wait until seed is availble in the wild so do not have the stock on hand for the start tomorow. It would only be the Acacia and add Hakea as well. I am hoping to replicate more than just a group but my one of my local & rapidly declining habitats.

To add to the planting list from my benches I have a Bursaria small enough to fit the scale & some Pratia I can pull from another pot. Along with a Daviesa, small daisy & another small perenial herb(unknown).

I was thinking a few small ground orchids for some seasonal variation, maybe not... the Caladenia would tower above a 'giant euc', a small greenhood fill the understory :lol:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hornet »

I too was just recently thinking of using orchids around the base of the pot. Some caladenia may work but most need it dry, would probably kill the bonsai trying to get them happy. 3 genera i think would work as long as the root ball inst too dense for them to grow in, pterostylis, chiloglottis and corybas. Some ptero's get guite tall flower stems but chilo's and corybas generally only get up to 5-6cm.

John
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Due to a problem with water (not enough) all bar one of the Euc's has passed to the great potensai garden in the sky, as such this entry will be withdrawn. I still plan to go ahead with planting up a small forest of similar nature as & when the time comes i have suitable stocks again.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Non conforming entries”