Cat among the Shohin

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Cat among the Shohin

Post by kcpoole »

Pup wrote:Again comment is made as to the pot not being part of the training.

A very simple analogy.
A piece of Stock in a styrene box or plastic pot. Put on the club show bench. Comments from nice stock to shari stock.

Put that same stock into a bonsai POT and the comments change from nice stock to nice Bonsai or shari Bonsai.
No difference but the POT.

Regards Pup
See my comment in the other thread here as I answered this same question there
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8892&start=165#p100574

to sum up that one, The pot don't make it a Bonsai
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I LOVE the agreements and disagreements and the Ozzy's and Pup's on this site. This is what makes A.B such an .."i must have a look at whats happening today".. kind of site. :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Ray
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast/ Tweed

Post by Ray »

As far as Pup's tree being allowed as an entry, I personally felt it would have been ok. The intent of the competition seems to be about how much progress can be made over 14 months of training, from a beginning. So in the spirit of the competition, as little prior training as possible is the ideal starting point, Pup's tree would have met that spirit of entry.

But do we really need to keep questioning this? There's already a thread about entries, it's discussed there, what does this thread achieve that the other one hasn't/couldn't?
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Ray wrote:As far as Pup's tree being allowed as an entry, I personally felt it would have been ok. The intent of the competition seems to be about how much progress can be made over 14 months of training, from a beginning. So in the spirit of the competition, as little prior training as possible is the ideal starting point, Pup's tree would have met that spirit of entry.

But do we really need to keep questioning this? There's already a thread about entries, it's discussed there, what does this thread achieve that the other one hasn't/couldn't?
Give an answer to the rules.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Ozzy,

You made reference to Japanese tradition and high standards yet you have overlooked the humble and respectful teachings that come first.

Did you never make mistakes or ask questions when you began bonsai? Were your first trees show quality? You have the nerve to rubbish other members trees yet you don't show your own. In the last 12 months you have only posted 1 bonsai in training and a couple of stumps. Why?

This is AusBonsai, not OzzyBonsai and there's no place for selfish, elitist, and antagonistic behavior here. I would like you to read The Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai before you post here again. If after reading it you believe you can abide by the rules then I look forward to you joining in the discussions again. If you feel you can't, then save yourself the embarrassment of being banned and don't log in again.

Pup,

Yes, I wrote the rules and I tried to be as thorough as I could. To me they were clear and concise but in hindsight I see that there are areas that were not covered. We all learn from our mistakes and next year I will ensure that the rules are more comprehensive.

I specified that stock must be raw except for trunk chopping and root work. I never made reference to the pot so it is not a factor for this competition. I did specify that the stock could have had no prior styling which is why I said that your elm did not qualify. If you don't like my decision then that is your choice but please refrain from trying to prove a point.

Sincerely,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai

Return to “Non conforming entries”