Cat among the Shohin

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Cat among the Shohin

Post by Pup »

Being pedantic. On this forum or Club or site. We have a lot of people post what they call Bonsai it is only in a Bonsai pot but it is commented on by many of us here.

Which brings me to the point of training previous. No prior training what so ever I note some trees entered in the Shohin competition, are in Bonsai Pots, that is the start of training, as far as I see it. Because a tree that had a wire to train a leader, then was trunk chopped below that leader. Was deemed inadmissable as it had had wire on it. Not after the trunk chop was any part of the wire, left or added. Also again getting pedantic I have a struck cutting that has wire marks from when it was the top of the tree it was taken from. It has never had wire on since it was struck.
This is why I decided not to enter, because all what I have, in my interpitation of this rule, have had work prior to the 1st of September.

What I am saying is any thing that was taken from a previous Bonsai. Has had prior training in some shape or form.

So if I was a judge in this competition one of the Bosses would be gone. :reading: :reading:
:2c: Remember just my opinion and like anus's we all have one.
Good luck to all who have entered. Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Cat among the Shohin

Post by Matthew »

pup
Yep i think you throw that bloody cat among the pigions sometimes but we are all intitled to views especially someone who has been doing bonsai over 20 years and has contributed a wealth of knowledge to this forum and the bonsai community in general. I tend to agree with you on this I plan to enter tonight ,jez im cutting it short . i think most people who entered didnt mean to break the rules and simply lost what exactly the rules are. Im a little confused myself but im entering a tree prior trunk chopped with a new leader , i havent touches the roots but having been bought from a bonsai nursery sometime ago root work would of been done. am i still allowed to enter :lost:
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

Pup mate you misjudge the purpose of this Bonsai site, its not here to raise Australian Bonsai to the highest level its here to lower Bonsai standards to a crappy acceptable level thats just slightly above pot plant culture, its all about quantity not quality ... ie. the 100 000 posts thread, 90 000 posts of which were a load of shari containing 2 dollar sticks in pots, its about time the purveyors of bad bonsai that frequent this site were mercilessly flogged back into Burkes back yard were they belong so that the rest of us can concentrate on getting some some real fair dinkum Aussie bonsai trees that the traditional creators of Bonsai can at least take a second look at instead of gagging, of course I won't hold my breath on that one though :lol:
Last edited by Craig on August 31st, 2011, 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: edit
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

G,day Matthew, I am not good at showing veiw topics. If you go to page 6 of the questions after the rules were posted you will see what I mean about trunk chop not qualifying.

Ozzy you have been around a bit too, and if like me you have poked your nose in on other sites, around the world you will notice a lot of beginners have a look also. Then they join and start asking the questions we get asked here. Unfortunately this happens on all sites, this one is no exception. What we have to do is teach them by example.
If the people who are entering this Competition that I am referring to were, to look at decent Shohin Mame and Shito and believe, they can achieve what they see. Then we have done some good.
However there are some that definitely will not make it in 14 months or ever. We should still encourage so that they do get better.
I also agree in the sence of naivety, about what you are saying.

Cheers Pup.
Last edited by Pup on August 31st, 2011, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

forget the cat ozzy just throw a lion in :palm: :whistle:
phantom
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by phantom »

Ozzy this is the first time i have read something and thought how true this is ,your last statement are what alot of people think but wont say. phantom
TheNumber13
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by TheNumber13 »

Ozzy;
Not all of us have a decade or more experience. If we don't post up here to get advice and help, how are we going to be able to meet your standards at any time in the future? Your post is the first negative thing I have read on this site; If you want to be an elitist, please do it somewhere that does not exist, at least in part, to help new or unskilled people.
Last edited by TheNumber13 on August 31st, 2011, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Pat

(Grow little ones, grow.)
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

post was deleted.....
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Spoony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Spoony »

TheNumber13 wrote:Ozzy;
Not all of us have a decade or more experience. If we don't post up here to get advice and help, how are we going to be able to meet your standards at any time in the future? Your post is the first negative thing I have read on this site; If you want to be an elitist, please do it somewhere that does not exist, at least in part, to help new or unskilled people.
Agreed.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Yes Ozzy I do love your frank take on things after getting used to your comments :lol:

But I think getting personal Matt is really not an acceptable way to talk on here. :shock: We all come from different walks of life and culture and think tolerance of all is very important.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

:tounge: . Explain to me why this tree was not exceptable.
P1090408.JPG
P1090412.JPG
P1090413.JPG
P1090419.JPG
This question was asked and answered as being not exceptable, Why :?: :?:

This is why the question was posed. As I stated I have some very nice Shohin, and I have been told by people considered as Masters.

They are world standard so I am happy just to have the ones I have and not compete here.

Pup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pup on August 31st, 2011, 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Bretts wrote:Yes Ozzy I do love your frank take on things after getting used to your comments :lol:

But I think getting personal Matt is really not an acceptable way to talk on here. :shock: We all come from different walks of life and culture and think tolerance of all is very important.
The post was deleted instead of simply editing the last paragraph out... Seeig as you want to further make this a personal issue .....Tolerance is important as you state... show me any of it in the start of this thread??????
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Bretts wrote:Yes Ozzy I do love your frank take on things after getting used to your comments :lol:

Thankyou Brett
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Pup wrote::tounge: . Explain to me why this tree was not exceptable.
P1090408.JPG
P1090412.JPG
P1090413.JPG
P1090419.JPG
This question was asked and answered as being not exceptable, Why :?: :?:

This is why the question was posed. As I stated I have some very nice Shohin, and I have been told by people considered as Masters.

They are world standard so I am happy just to have the ones I have and not compete here.

Pup
Pup as far as my understanding of the rules I dont see why this was not allowed, it hasw not been styled it hasnt even had purposeful pretraining. Just a chop.... It would have been good to have you enter as we all know the standard of your trees
42 Mice ~Imperfection
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

TheNumber13 wrote:Ozzy;

I have given you advice on how to turn your pot plant into a real Bonsai in the true Japanese traditions but you haven't listened, instead you are trying to ******* one thousand years of Bonsai tradition to suit your boring plant, you are not interested in advice you are only interested in disgracing the true bonsai masters by claiming that you currently have a bonsai.
Last edited by Craig on August 31st, 2011, 8:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: edit

Return to “Non conforming entries”