[Dario] Syzygium

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

[Dario] Syzygium

Post by Dario »

Hi all, this Lilly Pilly was given to me 12mths ago to encourage me in my new hobby. I am unsure of the specific species (it has small light yellow flowers).
I don't know its age, but when I recieved it it was thoroughly rootbound and I was told that it had been in the same pot for the last 7yrs as a much neglected pot plant.
As soon I received it I root pruned it, trunk chopped it by 1/3, and repotted it. 3mths later when it had recovered I trunk chopped it for a second time.
It has regrown new shoots in the last 9mths (after the second trunk chop) and that is the growth you see in the below pics.
It has never been wired or pruned in any way (other than the roots reduced by half when I first received it), and I have only fed and watered it to get it healthy.
If allowed in the comp, I will give it the final trunk chop and sort the roots out tomorrow (Sept 1st), and work out how I want to style it once I get my first look at the trunk base under the soil when repotting.
Lilly Pilly
Original Height(before first trunk chop/reduction)...35cm.(trunk was growing horizontally not vertically).
Cost...free
P8300082.JPG
I have know idea why View 1 appears twice??
P8300082.JPG
Good luck everyone! :tu2: :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 5th, 2013, 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ★ ★ ★
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Dario] Syzygium - Only Entry

Post by Dario »

Hi all, just checking in with the 3 monthly update.
When I first received this plant it was root bound after being in the same pot for around 7yrs. When i pulled it out of the pot it hardly even dropped a grain of soil. I just reduced (sawed) the root ball in half, teasing out some of the outer roots.
I was a bit slack and didn't get round to doing anything 'till the second week of October :palm: this was my first real chance to get a look at the roots. I bare rooted it which took at least half an hour and it absolutely well and truely did my head in big time. It was literally like a brick of soil!! I have never, and hope to NEVER again encounter anything even remotely in this state for as long as I live!!!
I used angled tweezers and water pressure to get rid of the seven years worth of compacted soil, carefully trying to not damage the fine roots. But that proved to be impossible. I did eventually manage to bare root it, but I took over half of the fine roots off in the process. As a result, I decided to not cut back the thickest roots as far as I would have liked. I will leave that 'till the next repotting.
Some pics...
lilly 1.JPG
lily 2.JPG
lily 3.JPG
lily 4.JPG
lily 5.JPG
lily 6.JPG
lily 7.JPG
After I sorted out the roots I also gave the foliage a heavy prune. It survived the onslaught although it did take a fair bit to show signs of growth.
Once I saw a few tiny buds breaking and some new growth from existing branches, it occured to me that I hadn't pruned back the foliage far enough the first time :palm: which was true...IDIOT!!...so I proceeded to prune it back some more. Here are the current pics, and yes it has survived my inexperience but I fear that I will have depleted its energy stocks considerably and as a result i will surely have slowed down its development.
lily 8.JPG
lily 9.JPG
lily 11.JPG
Unfortunately I didn't get the taper that I was looking for in the trunk line. I was hoping that it might have flared more, especially at the trunks base...oh well :
I also removed a few branches that were either far too large to be branches, or were not in good positions...in my mind they were also not big enough to be realistic sub-trunks, or going in the wrong direction for the design. I am hoping that they will heal in time and perhaps the cuts that are on the lower trunk will thicken it up a little as they roll over?
I am not sure about the branches that I retained although I do have a design/plan in mind for how I hope to develop this tree...FINGERS CROSSED!! I just hope I haven't ruined it :shake: Anyway, it sure is a big learning curve for me and I am just glad to be involved in this competition...so thanks!
I know that I have taken far too many pics of poor quality (best camera I have though) and most likely written too much as well.
Thanks for hanging in there, Dario. :tu2: :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dario on November 15th, 2011, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , this should make for a very nice Shohin , pinch him back hard to the first set of leaves should get some serious ramification happening .Good luck .

Cheers Alpine
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Hi Alpine, thanks very much for the tip!
Hopefully this turns out ok?
Cheers, Dario.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Dario] Syzygium - Only Entry ★ ★ ★

Post by Dario »

Hi all :wave:
Been a while, so I guess I am out of the comp but I will continue to update anyway:tu2:
I have so much to learn and this tree is still a long way off becoming a bonsai, but I am enjoying myself :D
Not a whole lot to report...I have done a little pruning but I am still working on the branch structure and I want to shorten the two lowest branches and push their growth back a little.
I tried to wire the lowest branch, but it is so stiff and straight (and long). I will try notching it in the coming growing season for some movement.
The pruning wounds have started to callous/roll a bit, but a long way to go.
Hoping to get a lower bud this spring (after pruning) to become a back branch, and even a few more around the wounds to speed their healing.
Will change angle etc at next repot and see where the roots are at.
Just letting it rest for the winter but I will continue to fertilize and use seasol.
BB1.JPG
BB2.JPG
BB3.JPG
Cheers, Dario.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: [Dario] Syzygium - Only Entry ★ ★ ★

Post by kcpoole »

Yes Dario, the stars in the title mean you are no longer illegible to win, but you continued participation and development of the tree is very much desired and appreciated.
We all learn from each other, an will continue to do so

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Dario] Syzygium

Post by Dario »

It has been a while and it is still alive...
P3251677.JPG
P3251679.JPG
P3251681.JPG
It will be repotted next season. I will prune and wire it and start to work on ramification...up til now it has been mostly structural.
Cheers, Dario.
Last edited by Dario on March 31st, 2013, 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Non conforming entries”